Diabetic Runners

Form and Turnover (Read 135 times)

Been working on my form and turnover rate.  What a difference pulling the shoulders back and shortening the stride to increase tempo.   As an old marching band director, I used the same technique in order to get members to march in step and precisely with the tempo of the music.   Some say a turnover rate approaching 180/min is optimum.  Maybe I'll take my metronome and earbuds out with me the next time.  It won't look any more unusual than those who run with mp3 players.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

there are a few songs that have a good stride rate (ie. "We will rock you" by Queen would be my favorite for stride rate).  When I did my 1st 1/2 marathon, my playlist had that song every 30 minutes to make sure that I wasn't losing form and decreasing cadence.  Obviously, there are others like that.

And, 180 / minute may be tough to match.

I run at 168 - 172 / minute, and I count it as "right foot steps in 30 seconds".  So, in 30 seconds, my right foot strikes 42 or 43 times (= 86 x2 = 172).  It is impossible for me to increase that to 45 strikes / 30 seconds.  I've tried for months / years, and I'm unable to no matter what I try.  Now, I don't try anything regarding cadence....

In other words, don't get caught up in the 180 as the magic number.  Focus on the technique (shortened quick stride, balanced body).

Cheers,
      Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Good morning, Brian;

I've got to get myself an iPod.  I have some great tunes to bounce to.  Never wanted portable music  as  I always felt the convenience would spoil it.  As a music teacher and self-proclaimed audiophile, I liked looking forward to relaxing in my music room to listen as if it were an event.

I fully realize that the 180 is much like my car getting 40 in the city and 80 on the highway.  It is only a means to measure.  I am not even thinking numbers but only increasing my turnover rate by shortening the stride in order to feel comfortably efficient.   The hyper analysis types always want to throw numbers out there.

Anyway, anxious to get out there this morning.  Just waiting for Lee to stop dumping on us.  Sorry about that.  (You too, Carol.)  I know you guys need moisture desperately down there in the great state of Texas.   Hope things get better soon.

John 

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Yes, a little moisture here in Texas would be a good thing.  The cooler weather (< 100*)  over the past 4 days has been nice, but at the same time, the fires started, and have caused incredible damage.  Fortunately, for my family, we're far from the problem areas.

(BTW, instead of the metronome or iPod, a watch and counting works.  As I said in my previous post, I count right foot steps in 30 seconds.  I normally don't run with music, and I do count steps to pass time ocasionally.)

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life