Diabetic Runners

I broke 10 minutes (Read 252 times)

I came close yesterday @ 11:04/mile this morning it was 10:51/mile Big grin!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

CONGRATULATIONS!! As you build up your miles, you will get even faster!
        CONGRATULATIONS!! As you build up your miles, you will get even faster!
        I very much agree. As your fitness develops so will your pace, even without doing specific speed work. Just concentrate in fitness and endurance and you will be smiling more and more!

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I came close yesterday @ 11:04/mile this morning it was 10:51/mile Big grin!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin
          Congrats
          WHO FARTLEK"D ?

The voice of mile 18

attaboy!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Repeated this morning! 10:54!! I like the cool (53*) morning runs!!! And I think it helps runing in the dark! That way I can't see that far down the road and mmy mind can't play games with how far I have to go yet!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I generally only look about 10 -20 yards ahead of me on a clear day. It can be discouraging looking too far down a long straight stretch or especially going up hills.I find it better to look about 10 feet in front when going up a chellenging hill, consentrate on pumping my arms and shortening my stride a bit but increase the turnover of my legs.(similar process for downhill as well) I am glad to see you are getting better running weather. It is starting to get cold here.Thinking I might have to dig the long underware out soon. Dave
                WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                  Discussed the possibility, with my wife of changing my work schedule so I can run in the mornings. But I don't think so. I get up at 4:45 AM to be at work by 5:30 to start when our system comes on line at 6. That lets me leave at 3 or 3:30 and home about an hour and 15 minutes later. If I arrive later to work then I get home even later and the more miles I add each week means even later! Agggggggggggggghhhhh!!! And there is no way in hell I am getting up earlier!!!!! I don't get enough sleep now!!! I average about 4.5 hours sleep now. But I sure like running before dawn. I had Orion on one side and a Harvest Moon on the other for about 2/3 of my run this morning and it was nice

Gregg, I see youv'e done 3 in a row in under 11 pace. Good work. I am hot on your trail, but being the "OLD MAN" of the group, I am allowed to be a bit slower. Wink
                    Age is not an illusion
                      Ahhhh! So there IS someone in the group older than I.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

My long run this morning was slower, but still better than the same distance last Sunday! The weather here is supposed to be T storms through Wed., so might have a longer than the planned one day off. My plan is to make my daily run 2 miles with my next long run 5K which is the Sunday before my 5K which is Saturday the 23rd. So I do my long run (5K) then scale back to 1.6 runs and walks leading into that Saturday race. Any pointers? I plan on setting my HRM to a low of 70% and the high to 85% for the race letting the alarms be my "red line" OR maybe even setting the low to 75% as it is only 5 bpm more.

Gregg, Being that the 5K will be a new distance to you, I would not recommend that you go at at 85%. Try running one of your 1.6 miles at 80 to 85% and see what it feels like to you. 5bpm is a lot, more that you think. You are going to be excited, I can tell as you allready are. You probably will not sleep well the night before, be tense, etc. I would just go at it at my normal training rate, and if I feel strong at the end mile or so, then pick it up a bit, if it feels good pick it up some more. Try inching up say at 1/4 mile incriments. If you save it for the end you will be more relaxed, warmed up, less likely to injure yourself, finnish stronger, feel better about your run, enjoy yourself more, and just plain have a better feeling of accomplishment
                          Age is not an illusion
                            Sounds good! I must admit I listen for the high alarm so I can recover walk a short distance. The lower alarm I think is too low as I start running again right at 70% to 71% now anyway. So on race day it is just a matter of having the proper LOWER HR set to alarm. I plan on taking it easy the week before the race! Just 2 runs and limiting them both to 1.6 miles with streching the rest of the time.