Diabetic Runners

Best way for carb loading for diabetics? (Read 190 times)

The voice of mile 18

Saw this question on a forum once and never saw a satisfactory answer. for high school XC it was always pizza/pasta the night before the race but that isn't always the best thing for my morning blood sugars. is there a smart diabetic form of carb loading? thanks

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Hi Joe, That is a good question. I do not know how it can be done. I think for me is that I would have to do more grazing throught the day to load up on some carbs. The trouble with pizza is that it keeps the BS up for hours and hours. You can walk it down after about 5 hrs, but who wants the BS up in the 160 range for 5 or more hours?. I think it will just have to be eating some carbs during the run will have to do. Maybe it is different depending on what meds you are on. If one was real serious about this and your T2, there maybe some insulins you could use the day before to allow you to carb up, and not effect you the next day. But then you need the doctors ok to do it. Joe
      Age is not an illusion
      Runner Girl

Hey Y'all, It's amazing how different foods affect different diabetics. On Friday nights I have 2 slices of Pizza Hut Supreme deep dish pizza. As expected, this raises my blood sugar to around 140 for a while, but, it's usually back to around 100 before bed. Potatoes and corn, however, make it skyrocket ! Pasta is ok for me if I keep the portions small. I wish I had some advice to offer but each of us react so differently to foods that it truly is an individual trial and error process. Enjoy your evening and have a great weekend ! ~Susan.
          I still maintain that because our carb processing is screwed up we cannot "load up." I have had good success by grazing, not just the day or so before a big run, but each and every day (keeping the numbers in a normal range, of course) so that my muscles and liver are always adequately fueled. That, combined with adding some carbs every 20 minutes or so during my long runs, have helped me feel strong throughout my runs. From a previous post a couple of weeks back I had said (modified slightly)----"By carb loading in the traditional sense are we actually using the extra carbs or is it possible that we are simply spilling that excess sugar into our urine and not converting it to muscle fuel like a non-diabetic would? I prefer the practice of grazing knowing my muscles are receiving the benefit of converting the carbs to the fuel they need. I would be willing to drive my numbers up once in a while (maybe) if I were assured there would be a benefit in doing so."

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)