Diabetic Runners

Diabetic Runners opinions (Read 411 times)

jpnairn

straw man

Hi, I'd like to get some opinions on this. Medtronic is the title sponsor of the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon. Every year, through the the Global Heroes program Medtronic sponsors several runners to participate in the marathon and 10 mile run events there. These runners are people who are living with medical devices, people with medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, spinal disorders, chronic pain or neurological disorders. http://www.medtronic.com/globalheroes/ This is all very good, a wonderful thing. However, one of the criteria for applying for recognition in the Global Heroes program is: "Runners 40 years and older, who have had diabetes for more than 15 years, are ineligible." The guidelines for eligibility are described here: http://www.medtronic.com/globalheroes/guidelines.html Let me point out a few things. This applies to both the marathon and the ten mile race. Everyone participating in either of the events signs a waiver, whether they are part of the Global Heroes program, or registering themselves. Anyone applying to the Global Heroes program must: "Have previously run similar distances to the race to which he/she is applying (i.e. a 10 mile race or marathon). No first-time or beginning runners." "Certify they have consulted with a physician who deems the runner medically fit to participate in the race." These eligibility criteria apply only to application to the Global Heroes program. A 70 year old with diabetes for 60 years who has never run a mile is free to register and run in the marathon. These are just the criteria for applying. Selection is not automatic. Only 25 runners will be chosen for 2008. The total number of runners selected for the Global Heroes program will be about 0.2% of the participants in the marathon and ten mile races. In my opinion, the requirement that a diabetic runner must be under 40 or have had diabetes for less than 15 years is absurd. What do you all think? Thanks, Jerry

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

The voice of mile 18

I keep hearing thsi commercial on NPR thanks for the link but that is bogus! are 40 yr olds not inspirational enough? or only young hotties allowed for better photoops?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

jpnairn

straw man

Hey, Joe, I haven't heard those NPR commercials. Do you live near the Twin Cities? If someone was going to stage an event to try to get Medtronic and the Twin Cities Marathon some bad press on this, would you be willing to participate? Just something to give a good story to the papers. "Older Diabetics Excluded by Medtronic - Stage Their Own Marathon"

The voice of mile 18

I'm near philadelphia and hate marathons but if there is anything else I can do let me know

Are you kidding me?? That's complete BS... I was aware of that program but never read about it that closely. I assume it's a liability issue, but that's annoying enough to make me think of never applying.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

jpnairn

straw man

Medtronic has passed the buck on this, more or less, to the medical director of the Twin Cities Marathon. http://www.medtronic.com/globalheroes/learn_more.html They obviously created this page because they've had so many complaints about this rule. I wrote an open letter to the Twin Cities Marathon Medical Director: http://t1d-runner.blogspot.com/2008/04/correcting-ignorant-prejudice-against.html I encourage anyone else who has a problem with arbitrarily barring type 1 diabetics over 40 from participating in this program to write to Medtronic and the Twin Cities Marathon. Feel free to comment on the letter.

The voice of mile 18

great letter. go get 'em!! you should put this up on the main board. RA is filled with loonies er I mean great supportive folks Tongue

jpnairn

straw man

I'm near philadelphia and hate marathons but if there is anything else I can do let me know
                  Sorry I didn't mention it before, but the Twin Cities Marathon also has a 10 mile event, which is also part of the Global Heroes program. I know several diabetic runners who don't want to do the marathon, but might do the 10 mile. I'll see if I can get any more interest.

Hi Jerry, my reply to them was not as eloquent as yours, but here it is. I'm with ya! "I wanted to express my outrage at barring diabetics over the age of 40 who have had diabetes for 15 years or more. Have you just written us all off? Once we reach the magic number, should we line up for a grave intstead of at the starting line? What a crock! I'm Type 1, 41, and thankfully have no apparent complications and normal cholesterol. You need to re-think the message you are sending. I curerntly buy some of my pump supplies from Medtronic, but obviously need to re-think that too."
                    Progress Trumps Pefection
                    jpnairn

straw man

Hi, Carol, I think that's a great letter. You hit some hot points right on.