Diabetic Runners

Another new member with a couple of questions (Read 533 times)

eagleleft

Let me introduce myself: 69 years old, been running about 20 years, have done two marathons, many 5 and 10 ks. Running about 15 miles a week now. Pre diabitic and trying to stay that way. Need some opinions: Changed my BP med from a ace inhibitor to Diovan because of a dry cough. Diovan made me very tired and I switched back to my ace inhibitor. At the same time I went to a low carb diet and now I still feel tired and it kills me to run 3 miles. My two questions. Anyone have experience with BP meds and running? How do folks on a low carb diet get the carbs they need for a long one. I eat a banana before I one but it does not work at this point. Different subject. I now use a Ultra Smart to measure my Glucose levels. After bout 25 readings I read that you are suppose to change the lancet after every reading. How important is this, it seems like a real pain in the neck. This is a impressive forum, glad I found it! Thanks Don

The voice of mile 18

welcome to the group! no experience w/ BP meds. as far as carb loading that's a great question I just know what works for me i don't carb load like I did in high school - pounds of pasta and pizza but a more balanced w/ protien. a lot of folks here advocate a book called the diabetic athlete(?) I haven't read it yet but it comes highly regarded. I don't change mine out regularly either but am running the risk of an infection (I assume) and should be better about doing it

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

After bout 25 readings I read that you are suppose to change the lancet after every reading. How important is this, it seems like a real pain in the neck.
        Don - I've never heard this before and I've been using the UltraSmart for years. I figure I switch my lancet about every 300 readings or so. I wouldn't sweat it.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Welcome, eagle. Can't help with the BP meds, sorry. The only help I can offer on the carbs is YMMV - your mileage may vary. I try to start a run with a slightly elevated BG, but I'm taking insulin. I can only suggest that you try different types and amounts of carbs until you find combinations that work. Lancets - you're supposed to change them? No wonder they give us so many! I'm kidding. I don't bother changing it until it starts hurting, tearing and feels dull. Maybe once a month or so. Terry
          ClaudeY

Just before and during my runs I suspend my "low-carb" diet. Especially for long run days, I can't eat as many carbs as I will burn in a 3-5 hour run so I carry GU's with me and take one every hour. Trying to run AND maintain a low carb diet is dangerous for most diabetics as I understand it and that has been born out in my experience. I eat low carb begginning a couple of hours after a run and until an hour before the next one, but carb load just before during a for an hour or so after a run. That works for me, hope it helps you too.
            scottrn

I know I am coming around here late, but if anyone picks up this tread, Benicar is a good choice of BP medication for diabetics. There is some evidence that it also lessens the effects of neuropathy that plagues so many of us.