Diabetic Runners

Need some advise (Read 200 times)

Sat is my first 5K and right now I am not sure I'll even try it. Saturday night the wife found me firing from both ends for most of the night. Sunday my FBG was 132 which is a new high for a FBG for me. And eating? Are you kidding me? Today is the first day I even tried to eat and my belly is screaming about it even now! But at least it tastes good, which I take as a good sign. BTW I Don't like nor eat FRESH spinach. I'll eat the canned stuff by the case, so that was/is not hte problem. Well I have not run since Sat AM and am not in any shape to run today. SO!! Anyone have any ideas on what I can or should do?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

The voice of mile 18

OUCH! my .02- wait and recover fully then try running. if you're back to normal by friday then give the 5k a shot otherwise wait for another one. sorry. try easily digestible stuff to help your tummy - yogurt, rice, banana, jello and try and rehydrate. healing vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I'm so sorry you're not feeling good. I would just rest until Thursday or Friday, then if you're feeling better try a short run. If that run goes OK (and by OK I mean it doesn't make you sick, because it will probably feel difficult after several days of complete rest) then go for it at the 5K. I ran my fastest 1/2 marathon ever while I had a terrible cold - I think I was in a hurry to finish & get back to bed!
          Hi Gregg, First of all, if you FBG is staying high, I would get in touch with your Dr. You may require meds or a med change. I know that sounds discouraging, but it is what my Dr. instructed me to do, to keep track of the morning test numbers. As far as the race goes, try a jog/walk finish and use it for a workout. What the heck if you've paid your entrance fee. I think just being there will pump you up. You've been on a roll here so keep moving forward inspite. You're going have down times, and not just from the diabetes. Bad colds, flu, injuries (running and non-running alike) can set us back in a hurry. My personal schedule, which changes drastically each September, has really knocked me down this week. I feel as if I've gone backward 6 weeks in my conditioning. (It actually shows on my HRM!) So hang in there. Get the sugar under control but don't fall into a give up mode. Go and make the best of it. Maybe you can find someone at the back of the pack who will also do the race as a jog/walk and you could make a friend in the process. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Hi John, My FBG was up just that one morning and that had more to do wiith the amound of fluid I expelled one way or another all that night. This AM it was a nice low 91. I still don't feel like eating much, my gut still hurts and...................well things are ah.......... still a little loose, if you follow me, but no fever and I am back to work. I still plan on going Sat and I have no problem walking some or all of it. the 5K is a mayor's walk/run/race affair so even if a half mile in I find running is not going to work there will be walkers to be with and egg each other on if it is anything like the Indy half marathon. For the most part my body is just reminding me very vividly that I am not 18 anymore and can't/will NOT bounce back as if I was! Getting old is not fair. Listen to me, I am the guy who always told my kids while they were growing up that no one issued them a certificate stating life was fair and here I am at 52 moaning about life and fair! Gawd but they'd go nuts reading this, and I'd hear about it to no end! LOL I just hate being sick................ I don't have the time to spare

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Gregg Glad to hear you are not backing out Saturday! You will probably be surprised at how resting b4 your race will help your performance. Some of my best runs happen when I don't feel well. Don't eat too much before the race and GOOD LUCK! Dave
              WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                Ran just a mile this afternoon and it was slow. A 12:16 mile pace. But I have not run since Sat AM and I still have some effects of this flu. But I feel that race day will be better healthwise and the crowd will help too.

Gregg, I see you ran the 5K, time looked good. Way to go!
                  Age is not an illusion
                    Bravo!!, Gregg.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I had a ball!! Should have paid more attention to my heart monitor though. That first mile was too fast and my HM was tellimg me that but I was felling good and letting my run continue instead of recovering to a lower rate

Nice going Greg! Sounds like the rest helped.
                        WHO FARTLEK"D ?