Diabetic Runners

Diabetic running in the heat...HELP!! (Read 324 times)

cakebear

Hey everyone. I am new to the sight. I am David and I live in Louisville Kentucky. I recently moved here from Columbus Ohio. I feel like I need to give you some background information so you will understand where I have come from. 4 years ago I weighed 410 pounds. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and was a total mess. With nothing but diet and exercise, I now weigh 180 (as of this morning) and have run half marathons. I lost all my weight by walking. I didn't start running till last august. I ran my first 5K in December a year ago. Since then I have run many 5K's, 8K's, 10K's, and one half marathon. I am currently training for my second half marathon. Here is my problem. I am currently "crashing" on my long runs and sometimes even on my short runs. I am eating and drinking and trying to make sure I do everything I used to do before a run. But I still crash. I do know that before it turned so hot, I always was able to keep my heart rate just below my anabolic threshold, therefore not burning many of my calories from carbs, but from fat. Since it has turned so hot, my heart rate shoots up into my zone 4 and I stay right at...or up to 5 bpms above my AT. What that means is my body is no longer utilizing fat, but using sugars/carbs. I have been eating more carbs to over compensate for the issue, but still have been crashing. Anyone have any suggestions? I was supposed to run 9 to 11 miles this morning and I got to about 8.5 and bottomed out. I was able to stop get my bearings and continue back to my car to make a total of 9.5 miles but I was disappointed because I really wanted to do my 11. If anyone can shed some light from your experience, I would appreciate it. I am afraid if this continues, I am not going to be able to run my half marathon the last weekend of August. Thanks for your help. David
      Hi David, Wow!! Congrats on the changes that you have made. Your transformation is nothing short of amazing! Cool Big grin Smile Are you on medications for your diabetes, or managing w/ diet and exercise alone? If you are on meds, just wondering if they might need a tweak. With as much weight as you have lost, especially. When you say you are "bottoming out" what is your blood sugar reading at that time? What is your routine surrounding and during your runs regarding carbs, insulin dose (if any), and blood sugar readings before, during and after your runs? The answers to those questions might help you (or others on this forum) to sort things out a bit. Always frustrating to be stopped by a low blood sugar during an otherwise good workout. I think everyone here can relate, though we all wish we couldn't.
      Progress Trumps Pefection
      cakebear

Thanks Carol, Here is the scoop. I am still on oral meds I am on Glucovance. Which most of you know is a combo drug of Glyburide and Metphormin. I am on 2.5-500TEV dosage twice daily. After I lost all my weight...the doc thought I might be able to get off the meds completely...so..he took me off of them....and well....even with the weight loss..and watching everything...my BG would soar above 200 without even trying....if I ate it would shoot even higher. So..he put on just Glyburide, but it didn't do a lot...he put me on just Metphormin...much of the same results....so he had to put me back on Glyburide. My waking sugar when I wake up can be as low as 38...but as high as 140 to 150....lately its been right around 65...and I know i am going to eat pretty soon when I get up..so...its going to go up.....on running days when I run in the mornings.....I usually get up a couple of hours before my run..and eat rolled oats, with a bananna in them wtih walnuts..and about a tsp of honey to sweeten it. Before my run....my BG is about 90 to 120.....high end of normal......if I run a long run.....I usually take a GU gel about 5 to 6 miles into the run. Now...I have never checked my BG during a run....but that is a good suggestion.....I am going to take my meter wtih me in my amphibia belt in the morning...anyway......lately..when I hit about mile 8 to 8.5 on long runs..I start seeing the stars....and getting week legged....and..i am already sweating profusely..LOL...but...I am sure if I wasn't...I would start.....so I know my BG is dropping.....which makes no sense....since I GU'd up at mile 6......I realize this heat is tough....and this is my first summer for heat....and I know that running above my AT burns a lot of carbs.....but I try to keep carbs in my diet....and moniter them...etc....So I am getting pretty frustrated wtih this whole thing.....so any help any of you can offer...would be GREATLY appreciated....my running coach is even stumped...she has never had a diabetic runner....so thanks to all of you that are reading....and taking the time to respond....means a lot...I love my running..and it has been the best thing for me.....especially to keep my weight off....in fact....i have lost 10 pounds in the last two months because of this heat...LOL...
          Hi cakebear, Again, fabulous job with your running, weight loss and diabetes control! I bet you are your doctor's poster child for what works. You will learn a lot by testing before, and then early to mid run. I know it's a hassle, but the info is worth it. Since your meds are doing a pretty good job otherwise, you will likely have to look to adding more fuel to your run. From the looks of it, I would guess taking in more carbs BEFORE and/or EARLIER on in your run would help. A GU at mile 6 may not hit you until it's too late to salvage your run. Only testing will tell you that though. I'm a type 1 on insulin, so YMMV, but I generally try to get my blood sugar up to around 150-160 minimum before I head out, test after 2-3 miles and consume carbs if I have dropped below about 120. Repeat again after another few miles if it's a longer run. I also lower my basal rate on my insulin pump, but you don't have that option. However, you may want to discuss w/ your doc going on isulin and/or an insulin pump. I know you're probably thinking that's crazy, but it provides you with more options on the other side of the equation. Right now your meds are fixed, so your only option is more carbs (or less running, but that's not likely an option you will want to consider Wink). Edited to add: It was already over 85 here at 6:30 am, the treadmill will be my "friend" today. Guess another option if you think it's heat related is to get off the road and into the gym for a while...but no fun for long runs Sad
          Progress Trumps Pefection