Diabetic Runners

Reached Crossroad (distance vs speed) (Read 185 times)

I just reached one of my main goals this morning! After my Stroke and Diabetes diagnosis one year ago I set a goal to be able to run I mile, then 5k and 10k non-stop. Today I just hit my last goal of 16.6k (TEN MILES)) this morning. 11:26/mile first half (57:10) 10:09/ mile Second half (50:44) Negative split - WOW! Total time 1:47:54 I felt the old racing instincts kick in for the second half of the run. I am sitting in front of my computer with my feet up and keyboard in my lap ,sipping on my large protein smoothy with a huge grin on my face. Here is my problem. I have no goals from here other than a half and maybe a full marathon next year. I am not sure where to go with my training. Do I start working on speed to get back to a repectable speed or do I continue to add 10 % to my long runs? If I start working on speed I may be risking injury(I've been there) but I know I definately am capable of running faster. I am blessed in that I am a forefoot runner naturally.I know my speed will improve if I transition from the flat foot plopping jogging style I am currently using to forefoot running. However, I am enjoying increasing my long runs each week even though I am really jogging as opposed to running. I could do both but I think it may be too hard on this old body. I don't want to do anything that will discourage me from moving forward but on the other hand I don't want to risk injury. I know, like Gregg, I tend to over think and analyze things. Any opinions or advise is welcome. Thanks, Dave
    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      1st, Good work Dave! 2nd, Looking at your log looks like you've been adding 20% a week not 10% 3rd, I probably couldn't tell you anything. 4th, I think you allready know what you should do. Your heart tells you one thing, but your mind is telling you something else. You have the experience that gives you knowledge, let it work for you.
      Age is not an illusion
        Thanks, Joe Actually my weekly milage has gone up more because I increased my daily runs. My long runs are closer to the 10%. Your probably right, my instincts tell me to focus on distance and perhaps very slowly start introducing some fartleks on my daily shorter runs. I am deathly afraid of injuries as that is what stopped my running completely 6 years ago and lead to my health issues. Dave
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
          Dave, Sounds about right to me. Those Fartleks do not have to be stressfull, and can be relaxing and fun, I would think. Main thing right now is to continue to condition, to keep the diabetes under control, maintain your health, and enjoy your life. Your doing great! Your competeing with 50 some year olds, not kids. Six years at this age makes a big differance. Go easy, and things will work out in it's own time. Good Grief, listen to me, as if I take my own advice. Confused
          Age is not an illusion