Diabetic Runners

Got room for a hypoglycemic? (Read 217 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, I'm not diabetic, though before losing weight thanks to watching my carbs I was probably well on my way. There are several type 2s in my family and I was approaching "morbidly obese" territory (I was 185#s, got down to 124 and am now back over 140). While I love running, I have found that it's very difficult for me to balance my carbs...I know I need more than I did when I was more highly carb conscious, but I think I probably need a LOT less than what I have been getting over the last few months. As a result my weight is going back up--even with training for and running my recent HM. I'm having my thyroid checked the week after Thanksgiving, but even if that is an issue I'm sure my carb cravings and overeating are just as much to blame as a possible underactive thyroid. I have asked for advice on a low-carb diet board, but most of the folks there don't run (most are active, but not so much in terms of aerobic exercise or long miles). Does anyone know of any resources for someone who has erratic blood sugar, does well on restricted carb diets, and runs? I'm even wondering if carb-cycling of sorts might work for me...perhaps keeping my net carbs lower most of the week, with carb-ups a day or two before each long run or race...? Thanks for any advice or info. you guys can pass along to me. I want to run faster and not feel so blobby--getting my weight and diet under control should help meet both ends. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Zoom-Zoom Well I keep my carbs down to about 35 grams per meal with snacks of about 15 grams a couple times a day. I just don't worry about carbing up because of the running. Carbs have about 4 cal/gram. Protien about 4cal/gram, and fat about 9 cal/gram. What happens a lot of times is that we will add the fat to compensate for the carbs we take out. As you can see that will add more calories. I do not know much about being hypo, but I believe that you will probably react to different carbs much the same as us diabetics. That is for some of us, things like wheat, and potatoes really spike our Blood surgar and they may make you go low as well. Mixing the carbs with protien, or getting them from veggies, and fruits or whole grains help. Having said that, some can't eat fruit but do well on wheat, so it is a matter for each individual to figure out what works for them the best. Most seem to do well on popcorn though Big grin. The thing is to be consistant with your diet, watch the fat intake, go with the low fat cheeses, reduce red meat, eat more fish, chicken, veggies, fruit and lots of fiber. You can subtract the amount of carbs that are in the fiber.
      Age is not an illusion
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Low-fat cheese...sacrilege (heh, I'm from Wisconsin Wink )! I have a feeling I will be needing to do a lot of experimenting in the coming months. I did well low-carbing and running until I hit about the 7 mile mark in my longer runs...then I sorta went off the deep end with carbs (and calories) and the weight came with it. I have a feeling a lot of my carb intake will be an issue of timing, as it is for diabetics. Too much too soon will make me crave and have blood sugar drops, too little too late won't give me the energy I need when I need it. It's certainly a tricky balance. k

~ Sarah Kay

I remember reading a about some studies about women and dieting, exercising, and eating. It seems that women when at an all you can eat place after a work out tend to eat much more than when they do not work out. That is, they tend to consume more calories after a work out then they used during the work out. So they gained weight!! Men on the other hand seem to eat at about the same rate, so they loose weight. They suggest that women should be aware of this so they can fight the urge to increase they the amount that they eat. Perhaps this is what is happening to you?
          Age is not an illusion
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Boy, I think there's more than a small grain of truth to that. Over the past few months I often found myself rationalizing overeating..."hey, I just ran x# of miles, I deserve that extra slice of pizza!" Though I was still not losing even when I was watching carbs and calories...so part of my eating mess of the last couple of months has been due to a general "I'm not losing when I do everything right, so I might as well do everything wrong" attitude (which led to gaining). Bah. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

A hypoglycemic in the diabetic room? Egads - what's this place coming to?!! Smile j/k - thrilled to have you here, Zoom... I've always said that in many ways I think type 1 diabetics have it easier than either hypos or Type 2 diabetics.... I know my pancreas isn't doing anything today.. y'all have to figure out what yours has planned for you.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There's probably a lot of truth to that. I know when we have hung out with JDRF folks that those type 1s eat anything and everything, while I tend to really have to watch my carb intake if I don't want to be gnawing on my arm and a sofa cushion a few hours later (I have a type 2 friend who has to watch her food and take meds for the rest of her life). And those insulin pumps are truly miraculous. Though I don't know that I would trade on a lifetime of needing insulin. Diabetes can be so scary if not managed carefully. k

~ Sarah Kay

Low-fat cheese...sacrilege (heh, I'm from Wisconsin Wink )! I have a feeling I will be needing to do a lot of experimenting in the coming months. I did well low-carbing and running until I hit about the 7 mile mark in my longer runs...then I sorta went off the deep end with carbs (and calories) and the weight came with it. I have a feeling a lot of my carb intake will be an issue of timing, as it is for diabetics. Too much too soon will make me crave and have blood sugar drops, too little too late won't give me the energy I need when I need it. It's certainly a tricky balance. k
                  Expermenting is the key. I have found that diabates is as individual as DNA. I can eat some foods other can't even think about. So I eat and then test to see what gives. Also fiber reduces the blood sugar effects of carbs!! That is how I can eat pizza!! I have a side of fiber with it. Watch those hypo moments!! They are dangerous while driving etc. NOT fun at all.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire