Diabetic Runners

Haven't been diagnosed (Read 268 times)

however I'm scared that things are changing. I've deal with hypoglycemia for many years, however things are rapidly changing over the past 3-4 weeks. I am now starting to have blood sugar crashes within the hour after eating. I no longer can eat my normal breakfast cereal without it making me extremely ill. I am getting up 6 or more times to urinate at night (not just a little and it's not like I had something to drink right before going to bed either). When I do have a blood sugar crash it takes everything out of me and it takes many many hours to recover. I feel like I'm starting to lose control. Any thoughts?

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

The voice of mile 18

do you have a glucose meter? if not then get your butt to a doc and have them do Ha1c and see about getting a personal glucose meter.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

jpnairn

straw man

Sounds like you know the symptoms. Get tested! A test strip cost like a $1. People die from this.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Agreed with the other advice... you can buy a cheapo blood sugar meter at the drug store. Then test in the middle of the night. Technically, a blood sugar of more than 180 will cause you to urinate more (non diabetics will be 70-100 mostly overnight). If the blood sugar's 180 or higher, you'll know immediately what's going on. If not, you can look in another direction.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Thanks Joe! Will be getting a meter soon thanks to a friend and will be scheduling a doc appointment. Thanks guys!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jpnairn

straw man

Maybe no one made it sound urgent enough. You can just ask your friend for a test strip and a clean lancet and test yourself with his/her meter. You can walk into an emergency room or doc in a box and get tested in a few minutes. Anne Rice, the author of Interview With A Vampire, was diagnosed a couple of years ago. She didn't know the symptoms. She went into a coma before anyone knew what was wrong. I'm just using her as an example because she's a famous person you may have heard of. Others have not been as lucky as she was. She lived. People die from this. You know the symptoms. Decide how close you want to get to dying. This is important.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry