Diabetic Runners

Running form and Foot Strike (Read 257 times)

I guess this can be question of the week #5 even though there has been a few weeks without a question. (Never said every week would get a question anyway.) How would you describe your form and foot stike. Do your feet make a lot of noise or are you light on your feet? And related to that, does your running form occupy your thoughts as you run? (If you have foot neuropathy to any extent and want to comment on running comfort, go ahead.) John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

When I first started running it did. My right foot would start to plop when I got tired. Whch caused me to over think it and make it worse. Then I ran one Saturday with the local running club and one of the runners held back and stayed with me. He plopped BOTH feet, so I stopped worrying about it and just enjoying the run and things got better.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

In august I started out with a traditional heel toe strike I think mainly because of the amount of power walking I had been doing.(one foot always having contact with the ground) I have now moved to a flat footed strike that makes a fairly loud plop plop sound. My natural foot strike back when I really used to run is a forefoot strike and it is very quiet. I know once I start doing some speedwork that it will come back naturally. Can't wait for my old form. Dave
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
          I seem to have heel to toe foot strike without much noise. When I'm out training I visualize my form off and on. I sometimes get distracted by traffic, vicious dog, song on my mp3 etc. When racing I tend to get caught up in the competition with myself and other runners and not pay much attention to my form. By the way...is there a hard and fast correct form for running? I seem to arch my back and little bit. Kind of like I'm trying to stick my stomach out. I'm not sure this "correct". I don't feel uncomfortable nor have I really ever injured myself. Anyone care to comment on the "correct" form?
          "It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll" - AC/DC
            I am not sure what my form is. I know that since I have been running outdoors and my knees are a little stiff that when I walk it feels like I hyperextend the knees. ( Heel strike ) When I run it doesn't do this. At the jogging speed I do now, I think I am a forefoot striker more than a flat foot striker. It just seems more natuarl to come down with the front of the foot first when the stride is shortened like it is now. What happens if and when the speed increases.........???
            Age is not an illusion
              I'm not sure, but I think I'm a mid-foot striker, and I personally don't think I make a lot of noise. I have noticed that when I run up hills I become a forefoot striker - is this normal?
                Yes it is Stacie. You want to dig in and lean more to the front as you ascend hills. Just be careful coming down the other side, that's when many knee injuries happen!

Nice legs, Dave!

Nice legs, Dave!
                    Thanks, John Big grin lol Sure wish I could run like that now (both feet in the air between strides) I am sure it will happen once I get closer to forefoot running.again. By the way runlikehell the only rules on form that I know are to keep your body fairly straight and your head up. You can visualize your head being held up by a skyhook and your form will fall into place. Arm swing is important as well. Your hands should almost brush your hip bone and move towards you belly button but they should not touch or cross in front. You should also think to yourself "I'm gliding" and try not to bounce too much on your footstrike. Other than that your body will do what comes naturally. You should probably stick with your heel to toe strilke as it probably comes naturally to you and the majority of runners do it. If you arch your back a little you are probably correctly running uprite and not leaning to far forward or backwords. Dave
                    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                      Thanks John! I'll have to let my running partners know that it is normal - we were all kinda wondering.
                        Thanks for the tip Dave, I wasn't really visualizing myself gliding. I'll give it a try. Ted
                        "It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll" - AC/DC
                          Lately there has been a lot of days off in my schedule, in fact two days off for every day I run. My form and foot strike has always been quite good, quiet and soft strike with upright posture, and hands relaxed. My problem now is the neuropathy. After a couple of days off, even a 30 minute run will result in considerable discomfort, not while running, but during the night and the following morning upon rising. Going for a good walk or lacing up for another run actually helps.

John, well you know that improved circulation and BS control, can actualy heal some of that neuropathy. It will manifest itself in the way you describe. Usualy upon rising in the AM. A lot of healing takes place naturaly in the body at night when we sleep.
                            Age is not an illusion
                              Yeah, I heard it all. Rarely does it in fact get better dispite what the medical establishment claims. When I used the word lately, it was a reference to the holes in my running schedule not a claim that my neuropathy only recently manifested itself. My first recollecton of foot problems began in the spring of '03. Doc admitted to me that with time it could reverse with tight BG control, but no guarantee. It has in fact, in spite my running and walking, and my A1c consistently below 5.8, gotten worse not better. If I run daily, it's not so bad. It is just when I take days off that the discomfort becomes more noticeable between runs. Got to stay running so that these old feet stay attached!