Diabetic Runners

thirsty for knowledge! (Read 319 times)

rdobeangus

Good evening all... I found this site by accident and it is exactly what I was looking for. I am a T1 x almost 20 yrs. I am a mother of 3 beautiful girls, work full time at home and at an acute care hospital in my home city. I have been attempting to run for a couple years inconsistently but not giving up... A group of a few of us at work are now running 5 k's on our lunch hour 3-4 times a week... we have signed up for a 80 k relay in september ... I would responsible for 10k of this... So I am looking to increase my education on hydration and nutrition before, during and post work out. I currently find most runs are followed by a couple hours of elevated bs's but then can drop like a bomb. Since I am now officially a runner and need to do it right I am here to read all the posts and ask some questions. I am currently on multiple injections daily, wishing for a pump some day soon, but our insurance at a Major hospital doesnt cover it. Nice eh? Until then I need to know all I can. Thanks Corryne
    jpnairn

straw man

Hello, and best wishes, Corryne. I'm not going to try to guess what's going on with your blood sugar after your runs. There are just so many factors that can be involved in that, and I know nothing about you. You should order the book, the Diabetic Athlete, by Sheri Colberg-Ochs. There are lots of ideas and examples of how diabetics deal with controlling their blood sugar while exercising, and there's always more than one way. Another good source of information is the forum at the Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association website, the DESA. The web site is http://www.diabetes-exercise.org And of course, this is a good place, too.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

The voice of mile 18

howdy. have heard some folks have a bump after working out for me it's usually an artical dip then bounces up. as with most things with diabetes "your mileage may vary" - meaning it treats everyone different. good luck on your relay

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Hi Corryne, Welcome! Isn't it nice to find others who are working towards similar goals AND who have diabetes? I second what Jerry said, and would add that "Using Insulin" by John Walsh is also good. He has a section on "ex-carbs" that is helpful and a bit less technical than the Cohlberg book (tho if you're in medicine, you may like that). If you visit the DESA website, be sure and check out the posts by Missy Foy. World class distance runner who tends to use NPH (I believe) to control her BG's during races. Either way, very inspiring to read. I'm 41, a late onset Type 1 (for 15 yrs), and on a pump (6 yrs). After doing a number of 5K's, I ran my first 10K in September, and at one point before an injury, had my long runs up to 11 miles. As you run longer (and slower) you may find that you BG drops instead of rises on your runs. A lot of times, the reason that your BG rises is that you are running anaerobically and/or have "excitement hormones" at play. A 5K race increases my BG, but a long slow run definitely decreases it. So my best advice to you is to test before you run, and then at the 2 to 3 mile mark to see where you are trending and determine whether you need carbs. I even tested in my 10K to make sure I wasn't dropping too much, and sure 'nuf, had to take in some carbs. As for hydration, I don't think our requirements as diabetics are much different than anyone elses. For longer runs and prior to races, I try to drink plenty of water the night before, and a glass a few hours beforehand if possible. I love my Amphipod for carrying water, carbs, and testing supplies. I shuck it for 5K's, but wore it for my 10K, and will for any longer races in the future. LOL, I'm not exactly a world class athlete, so a little extra stuff isn't a big deal to me, and doing a walking test (preferably on an uphill) doesn't really impact your time that much as the races get longer Smile.
          Progress Trumps Pefection
          rdobeangus

Thanks for the feedback... i am looking into the books and websites for sure.. I appreciate the time you all took to respond...