Diabetic Runners

Missed it by that much (Read 340 times)

The voice of mile 18

Mrs. H arrived home early so I was allowed to race last night. was only 85 last night which is a treat for this race which a history of being really hot and humid. my goal was was break my time of 21:00 of last year secretly I hoped to break 20 min but wasn't sure if I was there yet. for a small town 5k this race attract a lot of folks. over 500 signed up this year. i seeded myself pretty towards the front then got run over by all fast folks behind me. I tried to restrain myself from going out too fast and for once did a good job. did the first mile 6:15. there were a couple long inclines on the second mile but I was staying pretty strong and came to mile 2 at 13 minutes even. that was way too slow for how I felt I was doing and think it may have been off. But i figured I was doing good thought I still had a chance at 20 minutes. the last mile is always the toughest for me I cursed myself up the last hill and tried to focus on staying strong and ignoring my sidestitch (didn't help much but at least I didn't completely imlode) i crossed the 3 mile mark somewhere around 19:15 I think and booked it to the finish line. crossed the line in 20:17 (20:13 chip time) 57/517 5th in my age group grabbed some water and shuffled down the hill for my free post race beer and tex-mex. then went home for a celebratory sushi/cookie and leftoever wedding cake. the best part my fasting blood sugar was 104 this AM. sweet!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

That's a nice time, Joe! Congrats!

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

jpnairn

straw man

Way to go, Joe! Great race. Not too many fast folks ran over you if you were 57th overall.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

The voice of mile 18

well the 64 yr old guy that beat me by 30 seconds kinda hurt

Hey Joe, that's a super time! You would have been one of those people I see on out-and-back races and think, dang, they are almost through and I've just started Wink As for the 64 YO guy, he's probably retired and has more time to run Shocked Nice morning BG too. Sounds like a good race and overall experience.
            Progress Trumps Pefection

The voice of mile 18

actually the FBS was the high point for me. I usually overdo the celebration and kick myself the next morning but for once my diabetes thought I actually deserverd a treat Big grin

Congrats on a great expereince, Joe. My town is holding a 5k this weekend, the first in many years. I'm hoping to break 25:00!! No need for speed, to coin a phrase. Terry
                  Missed it by a mile. 30:49. 8th in my age group. 191 of ??? (+300). Not too shabby, though, considering I ran from my home to the starting line, getting there with three minutes to spare. That was over 1.5 miles to start with. I thought it would be a good warm up, but it was a warm up plus. Terry
                    Nice run Terry! I think the folks who do a long warmup before 5K's must be in a different league. Personally, I have to save all I have for the race Smile. Glad you made it and enjoyed the day!
                    Progress Trumps Pefection