Diabetic Runners

Thread for week ending 7/16 (Read 102 times)

Thought I would attempt to start a weekly thread to see who is still hear and to see if there is interest.   This has been a tough come back for me.  Discouragement took me off the street four years ago,  but a gradual decline in my essential numbers is my motivation to return to the sport.    My next hemoglobin/cholesterol blood work is mid August so there is time to try and impress by doctor.

This was my first week where I actually feel like a runner again.  I was able to get in a little over 12 miles at an average pace of 10:30 (give or take).   Tomorrow and Sunday we'll be on the road to North Carolina from here in NY so I built the two days into my calendar as rest days.   Will probably only get a couple or three good runs in during our vacation.

Today was near disaster.  Got a weak left ankle from a childhood sprain and sure enough, I rolled it on the edge of the pavement this morning.  Fortunately, I was able to walk it off and finished the run just fine. 

I am noticing that I've lost a little more feeling in my feet since my last running season in '07. 

That's it for now.  Got to go and wash the weekly pile of tee shirts and shorts on the laundry room floor.

John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Good job starting up the running again and getting back into it. Glad your ankle is ok.

I have been horribly lazy this summer. Very little exercise and very poor eating. Have gained at least 15lbs since last year Surprised. Not good at all but I am fighting to get back on track, starting today. Sad to say but I've been avoiding my endo.

Went for a 30 minute run this morning. Hope to repeat that tomorrow but, dang, it is so hard to wake up early. But early is the only time I have to run right now so must do it.

@Sweeter--thanks for joining in.  I figure if we post our ups and downs for the week maybe others will be encouraged to stick with it.  That's all I want from this forum--encouragement.  Anything other advice we can offer each other will be icing on the cake. 

Hang in there.  If you started today, then stick with it tomorrow and the day after that.  Set a short goal then reward yourself in some way.   Running seems to provide me the incentive to stick to my meds, doctor appts, and proper diet.

Starting out (again), run according to how you feel not what your watch says.   I am a firm believer in the Jeff Galloway run/walk method of training.  Some runners are just too proud to include walking in their training.  But when we've gained weight, sugar levels have climbed, and conditioning has deteriorated, it is a great way to get it back and feel good in the process. 

John

Gallowalking Forum

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/gallowalking/

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)