Diabetic Runners

Freezzzzzing Fingers (Read 212 times)

I haven't run in quite a while due to the groin injury and 60 hr work weeks lately. Didn't know if I could even complete a non stop 5km but to my surprise it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Groin did not bother me and the cardio seemed ok. The problem now is the cold weather. My fingers are freezing to the point that it is painful and bothers me for the whole run, I've tried gloves mitts and combos of both and I can't get comfortable when the temp is below 32 deg f. I even tried heating gloves in the dryer before running but it does not help. I used to wear light cheap stretchy type gloves and pocket them after 10 minutes of running,- not any more my fingers are constantlty freezing, Toes are ok. I imagine it is the diabetes or the stroke that has effected the blood circulation to my hands. Thinking of trying those portable hand warmers inside a pair of mitts. Although, that might be cost prohibative. I also decided that I will eliminate the long run and try to maintain 4 to 5 (5km) runs a week throughout the winter to keep a base going until the warmer weather. I am very dissapointed as I used to love winter running.There is nothing like running on a calm winter morning on a fresh layer of new snow. Any suggestions? I am getting frustrated and I am willing to try anything to keep running throughout the winter.
    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      PS: I know the running stores sell wind proof mitts. Does anybody have any experience with these? Dave (frozen in Canada)
      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
        Dave, You have me there, those hand warming things may help. They didn't use to cost too much when I was a kid in Mpls. How about those choppers we use to wear, they were leather gloves with wool mittens inside them. I have been running here in 60 degree, breezy, weather, and my feet get cold.
        Age is not an illusion
        mkl

70% of body heat are evacuated by the head. thus to have chud with less it is necessary to wear a bonnet If not, you can also buy silk under-gloves run Forrest, run Michaƫl
            Body heat loss is not the problem. I'm fine everywhere else. Feet and body comfortable. Pain in finger tips almost unbearable. (and it's not even winter here yet!) Where can I buy silk under gloves? They don't sound warm. Dave
            WHO FARTLEK"D ?
              Dave, Why not go to one of those sporting good stores and look at the stuff they have for hunters. They have many different types and styles of gloves, perahps you can find one that might work for you. Not sure if you want a glove, or a mitten without individual fingers so you can curl your fingers into your palm to help keep them warm.
              Age is not an illusion
                Sounds like a good idea . I'll check it out. Have tried gloves, mitts and gloves inside mitts. Hunters gloves may do the trick I see that you can buy battery powered heated gloves too.! I am willing to try anything to keep running! Dave
                WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                  What about those chem packet hand warmers stuffed into gloves? Could get exspensive over the winter, but it is better than that damned pain!! Winter before last (the first one after my dx) we had a really heavy snow (for Indiana) with temps at minus 22* for several days before and after Christmas. I was clearing the driveway, all 700 ft with my front end loader and was using 180* gloves (the ones they show in ice water with the warm temp inside) and wool liners to boot and STILL got so cold my hands felt on fire. So this year I am getting those HAND WARMERS PACKS!! What I want to know is what can one wear besides sweats? The cold wind cuts right through them!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I bought a couple of those chem packs last night. They are about 2 bucks a pack up here. They are supposed to last about eight hours. I will try them out tonight. Might be a bit expensive over the whole winter but I'm desparate as these cold fingers will definately stop my running and I can't allow that to happen. I will investigate battery powered gloves and hunters gloves as well. I do have a pair of Neoprean waterproof gloves that allow you to put your hands in icy water (ice fishermen use them) but once my fingers are cold they seem to keep them cold. As far as pants go I use long underware and windproof light weight nylon running pants. When its very cold and windy I have a pair of wind proof underwear I bought at a running store. I don't go without them on windy days as I have had a bad experience on a long run on the return trip facing a strong wind. I had to run backwards as the wind was freezing the jewels (if you know what I mean.)
                    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                      Dave. When you find a place in Florida to winter, call me. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Well, tonights run went very well. I put those Chemical heat pads in a pair of fleece lined mitts and my fingers were nice and toasty the whole 5 km. I know they worked as my thumbs got a little cold but warmed up quickly when I inserted them in the mitt part with my fingers. I checked out some gloves tonight and I'm thinking of purchasing the battery powered mitts. It will work out cheaper replacing batteries as opposed the the one use only chem heat packs. The interesting thing is that the battery mitts had a caution for use by diabetics. (recommend doctors approval first) I suspect that they are concerned that diabetics may not notice if they get too hot. They don't really explain the caution. John, I think I'll survive without going to Florida. I'm not old enough to be a Snowbird yet. Dave
                        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                          Update Through experimenting I have found the solution to my freezzzing fingers. I bought chemical toe warmers that have one sticky side to keep the warmer in place on your sock. I read that if you can warm your blood in your wrist that your fingers will be warmer. I stick the toe Warmers to my wrists about 5 minutes b4 my run and wear a pair of fleece lined mitts. My fingers were cool for the 1st 3 km but not painfully freezing. By 4 km my finger were toasty but not hot and sweaty. Perfect! hope it works as well at zero degrees. I found a store that sells the toe warmers for $1.00 a pair. Dave
                          WHO FARTLEK"D ?