Diabetic Runners

bloodless testing on the way (Read 284 times)

The voice of mile 18

it's coming sooner or later: http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/05/07/diabetes.sugar.reut/index.html

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Sounds great! "85% accuracy" put me off for a moment, but the article claims that that is about the same accuracy as blood testing. No more used test strips laying around the desk. That will be cool. Terry
        Yeah, I find test strips EVERYWHERE Roll eyes
          An article by David Mendosa about bloodless testing news. Not very hopeful: http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/17/9398/failure/ Terry
            Just think for a moment about how far current testing techniqes have come. When I was a boy standard fare for glucose testing was a daily test strip dipped in urine. You could only judge with reasonable inaccuracy what your glocose level has been for the past 24 hours. The earliest of glucose meters that we enjoy today went through the same doubting Thomas stage as this potential breakthrough. Couldn't help notice that the research was done at the University at Buffalo, my alma mater. Here is the intro to the article> Bloodless test for glucose runs skin-deep - new test for blood sugar level may help diabetes patients - Brief Article Science News, March 20, 1999 Many people with diabetes have to puncture their skin with a needle several times a day to check the glucose concentration of their blood. That's an uncomfortable, inconvenient procedure. Now, researchers at the State University of New York at Buffalo have found that it may be possible to monitor glucose without drawing blood. They simply collect and measure the glucose that diffuses naturally through the skin. "In the past, people have not explored these [methods] because we did not have the technology to detect the small quantities that go through the skin," says chemist Luis A. Colon. He and his colleagues are currently developing an extremely sensitive measure.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)