Diabetic Runners

Experimenting with foods (Read 444 times)

That is an interesting article. In my experience, by bloodsugar tends to drop (not always drastically) about 8-10 hours after exercise. This is the reason I prefer to run in the early AM - so the drop happens when I'm awake in the afternoon. I make sure I have a snack at my desk around 3:30 every afternoon. When I used to run in the evenings after work, I was getting up with low bloodsugar around 4 AM every morning.
      That is an interesting article. In my experience, by bloodsugar tends to drop (not always drastically) about 8-10 hours after exercise. This is the reason I prefer to run in the early AM - so the drop happens when I'm awake in the afternoon. I make sure I have a snack at my desk around 3:30 every afternoon. When I used to run in the evenings after work, I was getting up with low bloodsugar around 4 AM every morning.
      Stacie I have never tested myself in the middle of the night. Do you think I should? My normal morning BG is always around 70-80 which is a little low but I don't think it's a concern right now. Maybe I am getting lows at night without being aware of it . Do you have any symptoms when you experience this delayed low? Dave PS: My weekday runs are always at night.
      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
        I do usually have symptoms when my BG is too low at night - I either have low bloodsugar in my dreams then wake up, or I wake up, can't get back to sleep and eventually realize that it's low. In high school (before I was on the insulin pump) there were several mornings when I didn't wake up for my alarm clock, and there were times when I would wake up with food (cookies, regular Kool-Aid, etc) in my bed and have no idea how they got there. So I guess lows at night have always been a problem for me. I don't know if it is different for type 2's but my Doctors have always recommended an occasional BG check during the night, around 2 AM. My husband works 2nd shift, so he has been checking it for me sometime between 12 and 2. He knows what it's supposed to be and only wakes me if I need to get up and either take insulin or get something to eat. This has helped my morning BGs more than anything. Some people experience the dawn phenomenom (not sure if I spelled that correctly), where their BG drops around 2 AM, they do not recognize the low, and then their body rebounds to somehow cause a high BG when they get up. I don't think you have to worry about that if your BG is 70-80 in the AM, but I don't think it would hurt to test around 2 AM once or twice, just to see what's going on if you're curious.
          Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't think I ever have that problem but your right - it wouldn't hurt to set the alarm and test once in a while. Dave
          WHO FARTLEK"D ?
            Stacie Since this post I have tested three times @ 2AM Much to my relief I don't think I should be concerned but I will probably continue to spot check once a month. 4.9 (88,2), 5.1(91.8), 5.0(90) These are pretty much the same as my FBG every morning. Dave
            WHO FARTLEK"D ?
              I'm glad to hear that they're OK!