Diabetic Runners

Ya ain't gonna believe this one (Read 152 times)

I can't believe it myself and I live it! AND the more I think about it the angery I get!!! I was dx'd type 2 on 23 Nov 2004. I started dieting and exercizing by walking on breaks and lost 75 lbs. My numbers for BP and BG got better and better and Doc was very happy!!! Well so was I!!! Doc told me to keep to my daily schedule. I told him that was going to be hard as we were at work entering overtime and would be on it for months on end, to include EVERY weekend. He said sorry for the rest of my buddies but NOT me 40 hours PERIOD!! I talked him into a max of 45 hrs/week. I was promoted soon after and this restriction was well known at the time. New management steps in and my probation period is coming to an end and the asst dirctor is telling me I am healthy enought to run and also have the time, so I should if I want to keep my promotion, decide, run or promotion. Not stated as boldly as that, but very clearly implied!! "Other diabetics don't seem to have this problem......." I don't have time to educate the ignorant and brainless. The "other diabetic" misses work about 30% to 40% of the time and her numbers are terrorifyingly high. NOT one of the other diabetics is even giving lip service to even a half hearted attempt at controlling their diabetes. Sorry just venting

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Gregg, Ya gota eat. Even if you gave up the promotion, it would just be a matter of time before they would want your overtime in whatever job you had. I do not know how much over time we are talking about here , but you are going to have to suck it up for now, and try to schedual yourself 30 mins 4 times a week to run in. Try and make it a routine.
      Age is not an illusion

The voice of mile 18

let me see if I get this right. they want you stop following doctors orders, jeopardize your health and possibly the well being of other coworkers (depending on the work you do) or you'll get demoted? that is not right I don't believe they have the right to punish you for following doctor's orders. running is part of your treatment to control blood sugars and blood pressure and is done on your own time. Ask the doc if upping the OT is acceptable. If you're doing a good job can't see how legally they demote you for medical reasons.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Office politics for the most part. I just can' see how a person gets that high up in hte division and not know that this tactic is illegal. As it is I leave the house at 4:15 AM and get back around 5 PM Monday thru Friday IF I ignored the Doc and worked the ALL teh OT I would get home around 6:30 to 6:45 PM (more traffic to slow me down) and then add Sat at 4:15 AM to 3:15 PM BTW no lunches on Sat! Monday, I'll talk to the MER guy up in HR and give him a heads up. But carefully as I don't want action taken unless I need it done. This manager thinks she can do or say whatever as Supervisors have no union rep. Well HR is our rep. This manager needs to know Marx has been disgraced

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire