Diabetic Runners

Hitting the wall (Read 325 times)

My pre-lunch BG was about 140, I bolused for 15 grams of Carb but consumed 30. When I started my run my BG was about 125. I planned a three mile to 5K run and started out a little faster than normal, but not much. Temperature was in the low 80s. I was moving along fine at my 'no need for speed' pace of 10 minutes/mile when, after a mile, I suddenly hit the wall. My legs felt like they were going to give out, I was suddenly very winded. My CGM showed a BG of 170. So I walked a block and started again. Another quarter mile, same thing. It was walk, run, walk, run, the rest of the way. I finished the run and I was only about 3 minutes off my usual pace, but I'd never felt that kind of exhaustion in the middle of a run before. My BGs have been good since then, certainly not low and no higher than 170. Any thoughts on what might have happened, or just a bad running day? Terry
      Sounds like what was happening to me every day just before my diagnosis a few years back. When my BG was hanging out between 175 and 225 (and didn't realize it) my running was like hitting the wall within the first 5-10 minutes of each run. That, combined with strange foot sensations, is what prompted me to see my Dr initially. To me it sounds like your BG was a bit too high going in and the bod was having a tough time breaking down the sugars. When the sugar is high during exercise, gotta be careful. You might want to read the thread on ketoacidosis.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I'd be inclined to call it a bad running day... I tend to plan to be around 200 to start longer workouts and have heard of other diabetics doing the same... If I get above 250, things get funky, but I actually find I run best between 150 and 200. That's just my personal experience, though.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.