Diabetic Runners

Newbie here! (Read 133 times)

Sassy439c

Hi everyone, I'm so glad someone mentioned this board to me! Let me introduce myself..I'm a 29 yr old woman with Type 2 (oral meds) living in northern NJ. I was diagnosed at age 17 quite accidentally..I had to take a urine test for a sports physical and it turned out my glucose levels were over 400. I wasn't your typical candidate being so young, in great shape and symptom free. My genetics are to blame for this one. Fast forward 12 years later and here I am still active and enjoying life. I was in the process of planning my wedding a few months ago which was very stressful and caused my levels to rise. My doc had to up my dosage of Actos, which I did not realize this drug causes weight gain. No wonder I would always have the hardest time trying to shed a few! Anyway, I started incorporating running into my workouts to try to speed up the weight loss. While running, I decided I wanted to enter the NYC Marathon lottery. So, I did just yesterday! I'm really excited and am keeping my fingers crossed that I get in. I've grown to really enjoy running again. I don't test myself so I couldn't tell you what my #s are, but I visit the doc every 3 months and he says keep doing what I'm doing. What a great idea to have this board. Now I can talk to people who "get" what I'm talking about Smile

The voice of mile 18

howdy! see if your doc can set you up w/ a personal glucose monitor. it's a good thing to have to. good luck on the NYC marathon and congrats on your nuptuals!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Hi Sassy - ditto to Joe's post! Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Sassy439c

Thanks for the welcome guys!