Diabetic Runners

New Diabetic, Veteran Runner, seeking advice (Read 467 times)

RunningLow

Hello, I am a new Type 1 Diabetic, diagnosed this past March at age 23. I ran my first half-marathon last fall , prior to my diagnosis and have run two since my diagnosis. I am having a very difficult time keeping from bottoming out though during my runs. I've tried to chew glucose tablets every couple miles but I choke on them when they turn to powder when I bite on them and I've tried to ramp my BG way up before the race so that I can just let it come back down while I'm running and end at a decent level... I am not getting a lot of help from my medical professionals and could really use some help figuring out what to carry with me that's not annoying and what to eat before and during a long run. I'm really struggling and I don't want to let this disease slow me down. I've always been very active and healthy, playing multiple sports and working out all of the time...not sure where the diabetes came from but it's here to stay and I need it to behave so I can keep racing. Help? -Emily Undecided Undecided
      Hi Emily, welcome! Congrats on your 3 HM's! Why don't you provide a little more info about what you are doing, and maybe we can help. What type of insulin regimen are you on? Shots or pump? Are you testing during your training runs? I'm on a pump, and my run strategy is usually to cut my basal rate in 1/2 about an hour and a half proior to running and for the duration of the run. No bolus within a few hours of running if I can help it or I drop like a rock. I eat enough carbs pre-run to get my BG up to around 150 - 180. Test every few miles and use a combination of gatorade and sport beans as needed. No reason you have to use glucose tabs with lots of carb sources to choose from (gel, gu, gatorade, powerade, sport beans, etc.). We have a couple of marathon veterans here, so hopefully they will chime in as well.
      Progress Trumps Pefection
      RunningLow

Hello Carol, thank you for the warm welcome! I am on Humalog and Lantus shots. I don't really have a run strategy yet I guess. I check my bg before I go out for a run and I don't go unless I'm >120. If I am lower I have a snack, a couple graham crackers, half of a power bar or a banana and wait a half hour. Then I check my blood again and I go. (if I can) I have never checked my blood while running. It seems like it would be clumsy and difficult and I sweat a lot so it'd be pretty hard to do, right? Do you have a continuous glucose monitor with your pump? That would be really nice... I never have been able to drink much while running, especially gatorade because it cramps me up, so that's out...I've never tried any of the gel packs or anything like that, do you have a favorite? I have a pretty sensitive stomach when it comes to running and eating. How many carbs do you usually eat before a long run? I also am having an awful , awful time running in the heat now. It used to just be uncomfortable but it seems like any sort of strategy that I had goes out the window when it's >70deg outside. My body just shuts down or something. It's scary and I've had to quit my run a few times, which doesn't make me happy.

The voice of mile 18

I'm a type 2 and go w/ the gels I liked carbbooms apple cinnamon (just like mcdondald's apple pie yum) try out a couple to see what agrees w/ your tummy. you'll still need a little water to wash these down but it's better than a cap. have you tried other sports drinks? it's a matter of trying various stuff to see what works for ya and what doesn't sorry.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Hi Emily, Sure you have a strategy...it's just in the process of being refined Smile. Also, I have to agree with you about little help from the medical team. I recently asked my Endoc for help w/ my run strategy, and he handed me a log sheet that only accommodated pre and post meal blood sugar readings, Roll eyes! Sounds like your pre-run is pretty good. You didn't mention this, but careful with any Humalog boluses within about 3 hrs. before your run. Can make a huge diff. and if I have to take a bolus, cut it WAY down. Also, are you pretty happy with your lantus dose? Can you go a few hours without a meal or a humalog shot and stay pretty flat? Yes, I do check my BG while running anything over about 3 miles, and do not have a continuous monitor. I wear an amphopod belt http://www.amphipod.com/overview/overview.html with a pouch, and carry my Flash meter, test strips (wrapped in some foil), paper towel, lancet device, and sport beans in the pouch. Pump is clipped to the belt as is gatorade and the most essential piece of equipment...the Ipod Wink. I walk while testing (usually on an uphill), and even in a race, have found that it doesn't impact my time that much...especially since I carry my drink with me and don't have to hit the aid stations. 5K's I don't carry anything except a tube of glucose tabs, but longer and it's all of the above. Keep in mind though that I'm 42, not a speedster (60 minute 10K), and am still aiming for my first half after a hip injury stopped me for a few months last fall. Joe is right on that you will have to experiment (and stay near the bathroom) with what works for you in terms of taking in carbs. I like the sport beans...but YMMV. I wonder if your not taking in a lot of fluids is related to the heat intolerance. Hydrating before, during and after runs makes a huge diff for me. I try to make sure and drink more water even the night before a run. I'm in TX, and our high temps are over 100 right now, so I can definitely relate to heat issues. But I only run in the early morning when it's only 80 something...LOL!
            jpnairn

straw man

Hi, Emily, You've gotten some good advice. Carol is right about testing. Look for something like the amphipod, or a belt from Nathan or FuelBelt. For a lot of long runs, I wear RaceReady Long Distance shorts, which have tons of pockets on them. Your meter isn't any bigger than a cell phone. Put it in a baggy with a lancet device and a few test strips. It's not a big deal to carry. Years ago I thought I didn't need to test during a run. When I finally did take a meter along and test for the first time while running, my blood sugar was 50. I had though I was just tired, but my blood sugar was bottoming out. Like Carol, I use a pump, and I turn my basal down an hour before I start a long run. Changes in activity are a lot easier to manage with a pump. See if you can swing it with your doctor and your insurance. It is just way better to adjust the insulin to your life instead of your life to the insulin. Carol asks a good question about your Lantus dosage. It's important that your basal dosage, Lantus, isn't too high. I eat gels, Power Gel or Accel Gel or Carb Boom, while running, and I do all right with them. It's a very personal thing, though. I'm in Chandler, AZ, and it is generally over 100 for most of the year, so I sympathize with you on the heat. Try to stay well hydrated. There is a book, The Diabetic Athlete, by Sheri Colberg-Ochs, which has a lot of useful information about how others have dealt with diabetes and physical activity. You might want to check it out. Good luck, Jerry

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Jerry has the miles to back up his opinions, so I listen when he "talks". The Diabetic Athlete is a great resource, or if you want to read something a little less technical, check this article about ex-carbs out http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_control_tips/excarbs.php
                  Emily, I'd agree that these posts have a lot of great insight. As for me, I never test on any runs other than my long runs, but only because I've found a consistent routine. With marathon training in full swing now, I'll test about every six miles on most long runs -- simply to find the formula that works for me. One other thing that I don't think's covered here (I scanned the posts.). As you know, new diabetics go through a "honeymoon" period, where your pancreas is trying to spit out some insulin. During this period, control is actually more difficult, as you don't what exactly your pancreas will do. Once the honeymoon ends and YOU'RE responsible for 100% of your insulin, control will actually become easier. M

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

RunningLow

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry that I haven't been checking this website! I've actually gotten really discouraged over the last couple weeks and have been having a really, really awful time getting a hold of myself and my blood sugar again. I feel pretty sick and scared and my whole body cramps and cringes when I try to run Sad I did go out and get a running pouch though last night to carry some GU packets in. I ended up trying the plain flavor and it wasn't bad and didn't cramp me up when I ran my long run (11.5) on sunday. I think that the honeymoon has ended for me and my pancreas. The doses that I was taking before stopped working. I bottom out and sky rocket when I shouldn't. I am going to the endo soon to try and figure out what's going on all over again. I really do appreciate the postings. I feel so bad for not checking and for getting so worked up and depressed-ish about everything lately. I could have just came online and read your replies and probably felt better. I am taking tomorrow off from work to try and get a grip on myself. I hope I can. I hate being slowed down and I hate even more to feel like I don't understand or know my body anymore. Thanks everyone. I'll be taking all of your advice as soon as I feel better!!

The voice of mile 18

are you keeping a log? it'll help you and your doc figure out whats going on w/ you. please don't stress you will get a handle on this.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Hi Emily, So sorry you're having a hard time. Yes, when the honeymoon ends it can be very difficult to manage for a while. And diabetes has a way of morphing over time where what works for a while stops working so well, and we have to adjust. Totally different (and more frustrating) than our normal concepts of just taking medication and moving on. Anyway, you are among friends and we understand how difficult it can be. Frankly, I think diabetes would be easier to manage without the additional variables of running/training, etc., but exercise has so many other benefits both mentally and physically, that it is worth it. It also I think gives us a feeling that we are doing something positive for our health even when other things spin out of control at times. Hope having a long weekend will help, and that your pancreas will stop sputtering.
                        RunningLow

I read up a little on ExCarbs this morning. I am thinking about going and getting the whole book today. Thanks for the reference! I have read THink Like A Pancreas by Gary Scheiner and that book is very good and helpful too. I'm using it now to recalculate my basal and bolus doses because they're completely wrong now. Undecided I'm trying very hard not to get discouraged. Running makes me feel better all around and when I'm too "sick" or out of whack to do it, it really upsets me. I do have a log on my Palm Pilot that I WAS using to track my BG levels...but I've been very, very lazy about it over the last month or so when I started to get discouraged. I'm feeling good now though. I watched myself all day yesterday and checked this morning and I'm about to grab some ExCarbs and hit the road for a few miles to see how it goes. Thanks for the advice, everyone. Runners World really should do a whole issue about our people! We work very hard!