Diabetic Runners

Question of the Week (Read 241 times)

What (if any) food suppliments (vitamins/minerals/ etc.) do you take regularly?

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

If you mean vitamins any special concoctions for diabetes, I don't take any. I do however take Flax seed and cinnamon both ground with a high fiber cerial. I truely believe these foods have lowered my cholesteral and brought my A1C down to 4.9.(doctor was surprised and it's the only thing I did differently.) Of course the weight loss and healthy eating plan contributed as well. I know the flax seed worked on my cholesteral as It was still high when I had lost the weight. It went down enough that the doctor took me off Lipator. I believe cinnamon helps keep my blood sugar more normal. There is a lot of documentation on both of these. Cinnamon also tastes great and it can be added to many recipes. I find it sweeten up the flavour of anything without adding sugar (careful not to buy Cinnamon sugar. I have heard that Chromium is supposed to be good for Diabetes but have never tried it.
      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
        500mg cinnamon twice daily and it helps withthe FBG levels. I was averaging 107 and now it is 97

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Here is my daily regimen: Multi Vitamin with additional E, B and C 500Mg Calcium Omega 3-Fatty Acids in Fish Oil 1000 Mg Cinnamon

Runner Girl

Good Morning! I take a Centrum daily vitamin along with 1000 mg of calcium and 500 mg of vitamin D. The calcium and vitamin D are on the advice of my last endo. I had my thyroid and one parathyroid removed last October. The parathyroid is responsible for calcium, so this is replacement. Plus the fact that everyone knows women over 40 need extra calcium to help with bone density. I've heard all positive things about the cinnamon but have not started it. I'll ask next week when I meet with my new endo. Y'all enjoy your day ! Miake it GREAT ! ~Susan.
              Susan, I first read about the benefits of cinnamon in our newspaper and have seen several opinions since. I don't know if there is scientific evidence as to its benefit or if it is just observation by doctors, nutritionists and diabetics themselves. I figure it can't hurt. The past couple of weeks my BG has been quite low so for the time being I'm not using it. Amen on the calcium. Any of us over 40 should be serious about our calcium intake. Also, there is scientific evidence that skim milk has enzymes that help with weight loss and is a good source of calcium too. John

I'll take a vitamin now and then if I think about it. I have cinnamon on my oatmeal every morning, but not because of any diabtes benifit. I just like it. I heard that it should be incapsulated for any diabetic use, something about the saliva reduces any available benifit. Joe
                Age is not an illusion
                  I take a daily multi vitamin and that's it. I do eat a lot of cinnamon though - it's better than chocolate if you ask me Big grin

The voice of mile 18

the occasional multi vitamin - when I remember it. though if Fruit Advantage picks me to be part of their team I'll use that all the time. I love cinnamon like add it to my oatmeal,cereal, ect. but haven't seen an affect on my sugars I also love green tea. for some reason Arizona diet green tea seems to lower my sugar levels and Green Tea Ice cream tastes awesome ,and in moderation of course, doesn't cause a spike in sugars. but that is me - your mileage may vary

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

The voice of mile 18

Also any experiences w/ Ginseng? heard it was helpful in controlling blood sugars.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

the occasional multi vitamin - when I remember it. though if Fruit Advantage picks me to be part of their team I'll use that all the time. I love cinnamon like add it to my oatmeal,cereal, ect. but haven't seen an affect on my sugars I also love green tea. for some reason Arizona diet green tea seems to lower my sugar levels and Green Tea Ice cream tastes awesome ,and in moderation of course, doesn't cause a spike in sugars. but that is me - your mileage may vary
                        Cinnamon to be effective should be taken in capsule form and at 500mg twice a day

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I'm just taking a general multi-vitamin, but I've not really bothered to check what it's got in in as far as meeting any deficiencies that I may have in my diet without it. I kind of just feel that I should.