Diabetic Runners

NY Times Health Guide Type I (Read 168 times)

Some information here might be useful for our Type 1 members.

NY Times Health Guide for Aug 6th (Type 1)

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Thanks!  The susceptibility to heat exhaustion is quite timely here in Texas.  Not sure I agree though....I've been sweating buckets, and supplement with runs through sprinklers and even ice myself down midway through longer runs.  Probably TMI, but ice in the sports bra works wonders! 

Progress Trumps Pefection

My mind is dwelling on the ice in the bra idea.   Maybe ice in my shorts would help.  NOT

Ha!  Yep....but you could get yourself a sports bra to stuff with ice too....might make for a whole different kind of issue though Smile!  Seriously, I put much of the ice on the side....kinda under my armpits, and it really does have a nice cooling effect for the next mile or two.  I sound like a drink, shaken not stirred, but it beats heat exhaustion! 

Carol,

Was thinking of your post while watching the news last night and hearing how Texas has been straining under the heat.  Are you experiencing triple digits where you are?

The air here in NY is just beginning to have a hint of autumn in it.   Daytime high is in the low 80s and nights in the 60s.  Wish I could send some of it your way.

John

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Warsaw+NY+14569

Hey John, I'm totally jealous!  Yes, we are still hitting the triple digits daily.  We have also set a record for most days with lows over 80 degrees, so there is not even much relief in the early morning.  I'm allowing myself one treadmill run per week just to get a break from it.  My first olympic distance tri is on 9/5, and I'll likely be in the last wave, so praying for a cool front and/or lots of ice on the run course.

Wow, Carol!  Can't imagine.  Last month we spent some time at the outer banks of North Carolina and most days it was high 90s and running was tough.   Although running on the beach was quite pleasant.   You can get your shots in when it is winter up here and I try to figure out what to wear when temps are in the teens or 20s and there is a snow pack.  John