Diabetic Runners

Questions of the Week #2 (Read 251 times)

Assuming your doctor knows that you have a running habit, how does he or she view your running? Have there been any discussions or comments pro or con? If you haven't had an opportunity, take time to read the thread to last week's question on suppliments. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/diabetic_runners/Forum/a73982dbb2ff4e79b2c522c550048b05

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Well I have seen three doctors about my diabetes two at the VA, and my personal doctor who treats me. One at the VA thinks I over do it, the other at the VA wants to know why I do not put the Treadmill on an incline. MY personal doctor say I am one of his best patients. Joe
      Age is not an illusion
        At each of the last few visits I've made to the hospital for my yearly checkups once they have put me on the ECG for a while they then wouldn't belive me when I said that I didn't actually do any exersise other than the odd bit of carrying servers up the stairs in work as my resting heart rate was so low. I dread to think what that might show up the next time I turn up after I have actually been doing some running again, it might be too slow for it to register at all. Wink
          My Doc is OK with it. Told me my body will let me know if I am over doing it, so pay attention. But then my Doc for the most part lets me do what I want with his advise to guide me in controlling my numbers etc.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

All the Doctos I've seen think running is great for me. I talked to my primary Dr a couple weeks ago about losing 10 pounds to get into my "healthy weight range" and how I've cut my calories but I'm not losing anymore. He told me to not worry about getting into my health range because 1. It doesn't account for athletes, and 2. cutting calories back any more might affect my running and the benefits of running outweight the benefits of losing 10 more pounds. He also told me that insulin causes weight gain and that's probably the reason I don't seem to lost weight as easily as others.
              My primary care doctor is passive about it just thinks running is an unnecessary activity, that the benefit from 20-30 minutes of walking each day is plenty. At least he doesn't knock it. He might actually be a little impressed but won't admit it. He is admittedly impressed with my test numbers and the control I've been able to have over diabetes with the help of intensive exercise, especially running.

The voice of mile 18

Assuming your doctor knows that you have a running habit, how does he or she view your running? Have there been any discussions or comments pro or con? He knows and is an avid runner himself and just started triathlon. always spend the end of the appointment talking our goals and major races coming up.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Joe. Is your doctor taking any new patients?

The voice of mile 18

I'm he is but the wait is horrible. doesn't matter if I have the first or last appointment I have to wait at least an hour. He takes his time and talk w/ patients which is great but he is constantly behind schedule. I also assume w/ insurance the way it is he has to see a large volume of patients to make a living so they do not open up his schedule. But when you do see him it's great but the wait drives me crazy.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Runner Girl

I'll have to tell you after tomorrow ! I'm meeting with my new endo Wednesday afternoon and I'll see what she has to say. My previous (geez, why did he have to move to Mississippi !?!?!?) endo was fantastic and he thought running was excellent. He supported me completely. Hopefully this new one will too. Y'all take care and enjoy your evening. ~Susan.
                        Just another comment, my doctor did strongly advise me to be careful of blisters, small stones in my shoes that I may not feel, and other foot injuries. Having some degree neuropathy puts my feet at risk. We had a thread going a while back on taking care of our feet. John http://www.runningahead.com/groups/diabetic_runners/Forum/831b2526a7084b66a19a140603fd7f79

Hi John If it's not too personal can you give a description of the symptoms you experienced with the neuropathy in your feet. I have noticed that my feet get very cold in bed at night and I sometimes have to wear socks to bed. My feet were always hot years ago. I am not sure if this is something to be concerned about. I have had blisters and they heal up beautifully. I don't have a lack of feeling or numbness. I sure as hell feel it if I stub my toe! Dave
                          WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                            Dave, When I was fisrt Dig, I could not stand to have my shoes on, the feet burned all the time. The bottoms of my feet were one big callous, skin very dry and crusty. A few weeks after getting my BS under control, there were times that my feet screamed at me, the pain was so sharp. They must have neen healing then, today when they burn it is because they are hot and sweaty. In the winter they are cold though. I also feel something different from the running, what it is I can not explain, sort of like numbness, but from the ankle on down, and I think it is from the all the impacts. Keep in mind you are over 50, and I do not care what you do, your are going to feel it, nobody escapes. I ask the young guys at work for a lap blanket Smile
                            Age is not an illusion
                              Not too personal at all, Dave. It all started a couple of years ago when I began to feel like my socks were bunching up under my toes on my right foot. I kept pulling the sock up but it would feel the same. A couple of months later the left foot started doing the same. That's when I saw a doctor and got the news that I had been diabetic for some time and had the onset of neuropathy. Today I have a variety of feelings in my feet from cramps during the night, incredible stiffness and pain when I first step out of bed in the morning, to a general ache in the ankles and feet. With nerve damage, not only can you have a loss of feeling but your feet can become hypersensitive which mine are. If I go barefoot in the house and simple step on the edge of a thick carpet, it feels like I stepped on a stone. I would say your coldness is probably an early stage of sorts, but then again, things do change with age as well. As far as the running goes, it doesn't seem to bother my feet at all. The shoes must absorb shock really well. I do heal up well and I have a good pulse in my feet. But nonetheless the doctor wants me to be careful of injuries just the same. John

Thanks for the info guys. I don't seem to have any of the symptoms you mention. Now that I think of it The cold feet started after my stroke. That may have caused circulation problems in my feet or it may be my age now. I probably had diabetes long b4 the stroke as I remember having to get up in the middle of the night every night to go to the bathroom a year b4 diagnosis. My feet were fine then. I do check them daily though as there is plenty of warning out there to watch your feet. Even my pharmacist insisted I see a doctor when I had blisters from my 20-30 km power walks. Dave
                                WHO FARTLEK"D ?