Diabetic Runners

Do I need running shoes? (Read 262 times)

Currently I have some Avia Cantilver Running shoes. They are fine shoes and cause me no problems, I have them by accident. I am thinking though that some trail shoes, cross training shoes, or just training shoes maybe a better thing for now. It seems that I have correct motion of my feet so I do not need any correction. Other than the weight is there a benifit to the running shoe that I can not get from some of these other shoes. I am not in the habit of having different shoes for different things, perhaps when I start racing then it would be time for a special pair of shoes for just that, but untill then I wear my shoes for everything, walking running, raquetball, soccer ( just pick me up games with the kids) you get the picture. I have no idea about this sort of thing. Joe
    Age is not an illusion
      I don't recommend (nor do any experts that have written on the subject) running in cross-training shoes. In my estimation they are just not constructed properly for running any kind of distance. I wouldn't take chances.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I agree with John. Don"t try to save money on anything but true running shoes. They may seem a little pricy but your comfort and less chance of injury are worth every cent.You don't need all the fancy clothes and fabrics available for runners but never I never comprimise on my shoes.Check out this site. http://www.epodiatry.com/running-shoes.htm
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?

The voice of mile 18

I agree w/ the other guys run in running shoes. as much as I am a paranoid nut they are designed for running and the impact on your feet - you wouldn't do a marathon in chuck taylor's would ya?Smile

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Ok, I get the picture no cross training shoes for running. How about Training shoes aor Trail shoes designed for running? I heard that the training shoes are a little heavier, but may be constructed to take the constant pounding from the miles of training. I guess what I am trying to get at is a shoe for running either trails, or training, and then I guess a shoe for everything else.
            Age is not an illusion

The voice of mile 18

I think trail shoes have a sturdier sole and have more knobby things to give you traction in the mud as you go screaming down a mountain. they are a little heavier than training shoes but do the same job. I do a mix of running on roads and trails but my regular training shoes have done the job well on both. I only rarely do crazy trails and my training shoes have done just fine.

I'll second what joe h said - I run trails with my regular running shoes on and have not had any problems, other than how dirty they look when I get home Big grin
                  Joe and Stacie, Thanks guys. It is regular running or training shoes then. Joe, do you have a running log someplace?
                  Age is not an illusion

The voice of mile 18

just a excel spreadsheet that I keep on mycomputer

Made a visit to a running store today, Seems that I over pronate esp. on the right foot. Maybe that is why I have so much soreness in the right leg. The up shot is I purchased a pair of Brooks Addiction 7. Tomorrow is a 6 mi run I'll see how they do
                      Age is not an illusion
                        Well I put 9 mi on these new shoes and have stopped running. I have pain in the right ITB, Right Knee, and the right hip side and front. The shoes feel like they are twisting my right leg when I walk in them, there is no problem with the left. For sure the motion of the right leg is different, that I can say. I guess that twisting feeling could be from the pain with the ITB. Perhaps I over worked on the 6mi run and the things didn't come to lite untill after my 3 mi run 2 days later. My right leg was worse than the left wearing out the inside of the fore sole, and my right leg has been giving me problems before the shoes, but these shoes are making other parts of my leg hurt. I think what is happening is that they are transfering the stress to other parts of the leg, so the pain is relocating. I am not sure what to do about it. Give up on the shoes? Stick with them and see what happens? For now I am walking and stretching. I may try and run again, 3 mi on friday. The pain is subsiding for now, but walking and stretching seems to agravaite it, but it is getting better every day. Your adivice please, if I need to take the shoes back I will, but if I need to go through this, some kind of muscle imbalance etc. from change in gait, then I'll do that. If that is the case I'll have to see what to do about my work shoes, some kind of inserts or something to correct that right leg also.
                        Age is not an illusion
                          I don't know about most people, but for me new running shoes always feel great right out of the box - no breaking in or adjusting to them. If I were you I'd return them ASAP and try something else. Maybe go to another running store for a second opinion, or at least get an opinion from another salesperson at the store you went to. If the store gives you any trouble returning the shoes, you might want to call the manufacturer to see if they will take them back. Once you've found a shoe that works for you, stick with it. I've been wearing the same shoe for several years now, and I'll be really sad if they are ever discontinued. Good Luck!
                            Stacie, Well I can tell you that I just tried on the old pair of shoes, and I do not believe how much my foot was overpronating. After a week of not wearing them it is as if the body of shoe wasn't there my heels would just roll right off the platform. I just moved from the Treadmill last month to running in the streets so maybe have about 70 miles of running on the street, so there are some aches and pains from that to begin with. I know I have pushed it, and my notes in my log indicate that I knew it, and have been considering easing back, but I didn't. The 6 miles with these montion control shoes may have been just the ticket to push that right leg over the edge. I have a couple weeks yet before I have to take action, I am not going to run untill the leg feels better, but I'll wear these shoes to walk in, and around the house. The leg should get better if it doesn't then....? At least I probably wont hurt it any more or do any permenate damage.
                            Age is not an illusion
                              Joe New shoes especially a brand you have never worn do require a break-in period. You probably should introduce them gradually, on your shorter runs until they feel comfortable, not on your longest run. If they are motion control shoes you really need to break them in slowly.After all you are training your feet and legs to plant in a more normal manor and this change may cause some pain. I would definately go back to the store and see what they think. I am surprised they didn't suggest you break them in gradually. I am sure they will let you try out other brands and perhaps exchange. Orthotics are another way to go. They make them for your work boots and for running shoes. Check your insurance at work - you may be covered if a doctor will write a perscription for them. Don't get discouraged. Once you get a shoe you like, stick with it. I have a couple of pairs I hate running in and I reserve them for walking or running in foul weather. Let us know what happens. Dave
                              WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                                Dave, Yea I am wearing them just to walk in now. I tried on 3-4 pairs of shoes, and these were the ones that felt the best to me at the time. It surprised me though that after the 6 mi run I didn't have the normal aches and pains, the day after, that I normaly do from the old shoes. My ankles didn't hurt, my knee didn't hurt., my hams felt good. It was after the 3 mi run 2 days later that the pain manifested itself. I do plan to come on slow and just run 3 mi untill I bring that pace down, get better conditioning, and let the legs and muscles adapt, before I move the milage back up. I am also trying to find a different route through the neighborhood to aviod the hills. I think I can cut out a path that will give me a couple miles before it repeats, by going up and down the sidewalks on 4 streets including my own. The sidewalks are level too, so this should ease the run some also. The shoes, and change in milage along with the unacustomed pounding from running outdoors probably all came together. My age I am sure had nothing to do with it. Yes
                                Age is not an illusion