Diabetic Runners

Finished the L.A. Marathon (Read 262 times)

I finished the L.A. Marathon last Sunday (March 4) in six and a half hours. A little disappointing but it was my first marathon, so there. I had to walk the last 4 miles because my IT band started acting up. I turnd the pump off at the start. My BG started to get a little low at mile 10 so I took some glucose tabs. I also ate GU at 7 mile intervals. It was a mistake to assume I needed them or should use them without checking my BG first. Even after running 20 miles my BG was up to 200. In the middle of a friggin' Marathon!! Can't say enough about testing, testing, testing. Although I've got the Dexcom, I find it unreliable in stressful conditions, like a long run. It's simply not responsive enough. Anyway, I mostly wanted to brag about finishing the marathon, but also wanted some insight into how often others test on long runs, and whether you use Glucose tabs alone or something else to treat lows while on the run. Terry

The voice of mile 18

Congrats on your first! I go w/ gels and powerbars. I'm a type 2 on oral meds. I don't test unless I feel out of sorts guess I have too much else to worry about.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Congratulations Terry! Don't worry about your time, just be proud that you finished! I've run 2 marathons, and I don't turn my pump off for the entire time. Over that many hours, my bloodsugar would get too high whether I ate anything or not even if I am running. I made that mistake when I ran my first 1/2 marathon - did not have pump on at all and had a gel around mile 10. I ended up finishing the race, but then took an ambulance ride to Va Beach General Hospital! For my long runs & races, I carry my meter & lots of strips, I keep the pump on unless my bloodsugar is low, and I definitely keep it on if I'm using gel. I don't carry glucose tabs, either. That's just another thing to remember, so I just make sure to take extra gel packets and use them to treat low bloodsugar. I don't test a whole lot, maybe once or twice, until I'm past 20 miles - that seems to be when my problems start. After mile 20, I test if I even think my bloodsugar might be considering dropping too low.
          Congratulations! There is no way I could run a Marathon at this point in time. So what if you walked some? I hear that at the 20 mile mark is when it gets real tough. Ha! at the 12 mile mark I am ready to drop. I am T2, so I can't help you out with the with the BS, but I find it amazing that with all the work and stress of running that you T1's still can add the stress of checking the BS while you run. We are proud of you.
          Age is not an illusion
            I'm a Type 1 and have run/finished 2 marathons - the last one in Phoenix this year. Both in the 5.25 hour range. Blood sugar is indeed a mystery during long runs, and I think it is tougher because most marathons start so early that you have a very abnormal routine in the monring with meals and insulin. Heaven help me if I take any insulin withiin 2 hours of a long run. I will bottom out so quickly and repeatedly. I've read that good long distance running requires a significant meal at least 2 hours before beginning and that you just have to get up really early. I have been takiing the new (inhaled) drug Exubera which may partly explain how quickly the insuliin affects me from my lungs after I start to run. I seem to have the best success in getting my blood sugar to 150-175 before the start and then relying on Gu or Hammer Gels during the run - Hammer has the lowest sugar content I've seen so I think it helps you not to spike too easily. Congrats on the marathon and keep it going!