Diabetic Runners

Have you folks heard the news?! (Read 375 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Low-Carb Diet Kicks-Ass! I have also read that there is supposed to be a 2 year study in the works comparing low-carb to the current USDA "healthy" diet. It will definitely be interesting to see what sorts of results that will bear. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That's why the South Beach Diet has been so popular among the docs and dieticians. It is a low-carb, good-for-you diet that was actually suggested to me by my doc when I was first DXed.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I lost most of my weight doing strict Atkins. Now that I am running I need more carbs, but I still avoid "white foods." I'm eating pretty "South Beach" most days. I feel SO much better than I did all those years that I ate whatever looked good to my stomach. I'm hypoglycemic, so watching those high glycemic carbs really makes a world of difference in my health and energy levels. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

I do something pretty close to Zone ? I aim for 40-35-25. My sister is diabetic and she was not able to really lose weight until she went lower carb (more like South Beach) - even 'tho she has to watch how low as she is on 2 different oral meds for diabetes. K - I just saw your before and after pics - amazing! After the discipline it took to lose that weight - running must seem easy!!!! WTG Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

K - I just saw your before and after pics - amazing! After the discipline it took to lose that weight - running must seem easy!!!! WTG Smile
            Thanks! You know, I think I never would have stuck with running if I hadn't been through the weight loss process. It really did make me a much stronger, dedicated person. Now the combo of running and eating better really seems to work symbiotically for me. I'm starting to play with the idea of becoming a certified personal trainer, too. I think the things that would work in my favor are being in my 30s, having been clinically obese, losing weight, and not being a natural athlete, but sticking with my workouts. I think I would be better able to identify with people struggling to get healthy and fit. k

~ Sarah Kay