Diabetic Runners

New Member from Chicagoland (Read 140 times)

Hi everyone!

Just saw this group mentioned in the general boards. I had actually looked for a diabetes group here but didn't think to search for 'diabetic," oops.

Anyway, I am 41 years old, SAHM of 2. I was diagnosed with type 2 around 10 years ago. For most of that time I didn't really control all that well. Probably had the best control during my 2 pregnancies.

Last year, I was taking Glucovance 2x a day along with Novolog injections before meals and Lantus in the evening. At my last appt in Dec 09, my endo said he'd give me 4 months to get my cholesterol down and if I didn't, he'd prescribe statins. Well, the idea of taking yet another med did not sit well with me. So I started getting serious with the calorie counting and regular exercise and trying to eat healthier.

I've now managed to lose almost 20 lbs and no longer shoot insulin. I am supposed to take Glucovance 1x a day but I'm finding it frustrating b/c a few hours after taking it, I go low. At my appt next month I'll be asking my endo about this.

Running-wise, I'm very much a newbie. I'm now going to try Maffetone training in hopes of building a better aerobic base.

Sweeter,

Welcome to the group.  Congratulations on the 20 lb weight loss and opportunity to get off insulin injections.  I think you'll find that running has a profound impact on glycemic control.  Glad to have you with us.

Kenny

The voice of mile 18

howdy sweet. great progress so far!  do you have any goals/races coming up?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy