Diabetic Runners

Introduction- new member in Boston (Read 259 times)

lkhawkins

Just discovered this site, really like the training log and ability to easily map running routes. Doesn't look like there's a lot of conversation that goes on but it's nice to read about experiences of others, what issues you have, and how you overcome them.

I've been type 1 diabetic for about 20 years since I was 28, and  tend to be brittle so makes everything really challenging. Love running and have been running since I was 18 on and off. Have done a few marathons but not well.  Gearing up to do a half in the fall.

Nice to meet you all!

Hey there Ikhawkins, welcome!  I've had T1 since age 27, so nice to see another late onset.  Pump or MDI?  Do you have a CGM?   What 1/2 are you targeting?  I did my first 1/2 in February, and would like to do more, though slogging through the TX summer is getting the best of me right now. 

This group is not quite as active as some of the others, but you will likely receive a few replies.  I'd also invite you (and anyone else who is inclined) to hop over to the Masters Running group.  I participate in a thread there that is usually titled something like....40's/50's on the Run, and it's a fun group.  Anyone else here is welcome there as well, lots of good threads, and while not D related, good encouragement.

For D and running discussions, you may also want to check out www.diabetes-exercise.org

Again welcome!

Progress Trumps Pefection

The voice of mile 18

howdy!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

lkhawkins

Thanks for the welcome! No I do not use a pump right now; I tried one previously for about 3 years, had problems with DKA several times (including after my first marathon where the connection was lost due to too much sweating), and since it was a biut scary, went back to injections for now. I don't have a CGM, but am planning to check into for costs & insurance coverage soon.

I'm targeting the Boston half marathon Oct 11th but the registration hasn't opened yet. There are plenty of other races around this region so I'll likely do others as well.  Doing a 7.5 this weekend in fact. Thanks for the recommendation for the Masters group, I'll check it out. And I've just joined DESA, so looking forward to accessing their resources. The conference is going on right now but couldn't get away from work.

In reading some of the previous posts, I noticed many have issues with lows during runs (no big stunner there). I've been able to mitigate that somewhat by running early in the morning. All I have is basel insulin on board and seems like I'm more resistant to getting hypo, but like being diabetic, it put limits on flexibility.  Do others have strategies that work for them?

jpnairn

straw man

Hi,

Of course we all have strategies that work for us. Sometimes the strategies fail us, though.

I turn my basal rate down about an hour before a long run. I eat something every five or six miles, usually a gel. The gel isn't to keep from going low, though. I could just cut my basal more to do that. I eat to keep my fuel up the way a runner without diabetes would.

I've done more than a few marathons, but few of them really well. I did about a dozen before I got my pump, and I find it's a lot easier to do the training and the races with a pump. I've had problems with infusion sites. I just have to be ready for them. For a marathon, I will sometimes put in a second infusion set, and leave it capped. If I have a problem with the infusion set I'm using during the race, I can just switch to the backup.

There's no waste, because I eventually switch to the backup anyway.

Some people are now using a combination of long-acting insulin and a pump. They get part of their basal from the long-acting insulin, and this keeps them from going into DKA if they have a pump problem.

Personally, I usually find out about infusion problems by testing my blood sugar, long before I go into DKA. And of course, now I have a CGM, though I don't have a sensor in right now.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

lkhawkins

Thanks for the great info!