Diabetic Runners

What kind of races do you have planned for fall? (Read 342 times)

As fall begins to creep up on us, let us know what upcoming races you have planned and how the training has been going.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Right now I'm planning a local very small 5K on August 25, then pacing my mom for a 4 miler Labor Day weekend, then the 1/2 marathon I've been training for on Sept. 8. That means 3 races in 3 weekends, but I'm not really racing the middle one. I'll also do the 5K in my neighborhood in October. I'm considering another marathon, Myrtle Beach, in February, but that's really going to depend on how much my training suffers during my first year of teaching!
        Although I have summers off (a teacher, too), I have never been able to devote the time necessary to do a full marathon. Between the work that I take home nearly every day and family, time just doesn't permit. I could always maintain a nice comfortable runnig schedule but not what it takes to do the big one. I've always tried to do a (google mapped) big run in August just before school starts just to end my season with a bang. With a very late start this year, I might be able to get a 5K or two in this fall; not raced, but just for fun with friends. We have one each September in the locally famous Letchworth State Park here in New York. Beautiful scenery and an incredible river gorge that has been nicknamed the Grand Canyon of the East.

A local 5k in Sep. Wanted to run the 15k on tat day and then run a HM a month later. ITBS and heat indexes of 115* changed it ti 5k for now

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Between the work that I take home nearly every day and family, time just doesn't permit.
            It's the work part that I'm worried about - I've been working for the county government for the past couple years and not "allowed" any overtime. Strictly 40 hour weeks. I don't have the family to worry about since my husband works 2nd shift, so I'm just going to wait and see how it goes.
              Once you get your feet on the ground you will likely have more time than I do. And once you get through a full year, you become more efficient the years that follow. You just might have more running time than you think you will have. Best to you on the job. I first set foot in the classroom November 2, 1976, only a few days before a new friend who taught with me in those days convinced me to go for a run with him. The rest is history. John

I'm training for my first marathon (!). Harrisburg - Nov. 11ish.... I had a half-marathon trail race yesterday (insane), and another half at the end of Sept. So far, so good. To prepare for the full, I'm doing more blood sugar testing on my longer runs. I was 258 before the race started, bolused down to 200, was 126 at the half-way point, had a gel. Took another gel at 10 miles, and finished the race with a blood sugar of 116... glad to see I've got a system, but curious to see what the second half will bring.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Hey, I looked at that marathon last season as a possibility but just could get the training time in. My son is in DC and we had planned on a Harrisburg meeting to visit and for me to run. Harrisburg is about halfway between us. It just never happened, though. Did a Googled half last year and left it at that. Not too sure I want to do two halves in a row!!! ...but I'm sure someday I will try either a real race or a Googled 26.

The voice of mile 18

dunno might do a couple 5k's and a 5 miler at the end of nov. really wanted to do a fast 5k this year but too much stuff getting in the way of my running. i'm kinda thinking about doing this race in upstate NY but it looks pretty darn tough: http://www.americanzofingen.racesonline.com/

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

hi Joe, Amen to too much stuff getting in the way of running. Seems to get worse as I get older. Just do what you can and don't set it aside completely like I did last fall! I'm finding it is not only good for our conditioning and sugar control, but it is good for the mind as well. I FEEL so much better emotionally since getting back to it, even if it has only been a few days.

The voice of mile 18

running is much cheaper than therapy. no I really hate that I miss running to do "things" and that of course adds more stress.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Long Beach half-marathon on October 14. The training schedule I downloaded from the hal higdon website closely matches my current regimen anyway, except for the increasing long runs on the weekends, so it's a good fit for my existing schedule, offers me no excuses for getting off track, and is quite doable. I ran the L.A. Marathon this spring and training for that was like a second job. I think the half-marathon is a better choice for my level of fitness and level of dedication. Good luck to all of you in your upcoming races. Terry
                            Higdon's book, "MARATHON-The Ultimate Training Guide" is a great read. One that makes you want to get up out of your chair and lace up. I like his stuff.

So Stacie. How are things going as you get ready for the classroom? Looking at your training log, it seems you are keeping at it even in spite your worry about not having enough time. So...when Jason locked you out of the house and you ran to church, did you you actually go into the service having just run??? John

joe_h how's your training going? You were having some trouble with things getting in the way just like Stacie. Are you still considering the New Paltz race??? John