Ex-smokers support

1/28-2/3 (Read 386 times)

Big Chicken!

Hi guys!! Since it's already Monday here I thought I'd start the new week. Busy weekend for us. We went to the lounge on Friday (commander bought the bar tab! Yay commander-man!!) The kids played the Wii for hours (the celebration started at 3:30 PM and ended much later) there before I took them home and DH stayed L..A..T..E. Then Saturday was a kid's birthday party. Lots of 5 and 6 year olds running around. then Sunday was get to the commissary day. It's 90 minutes away and we needed to be back in time for a BBQ. Yep, we were rushed. But I did manage to find time for a haircut! I lost about 6-8 inches off my head. My neighbor told me I shuld have done it before my marathon. I could have shaved a minute off my time. OOOHH..a 6:42 instead! HUGE difference! Wink Anyway, no smoking for me! No desire! Though my desire to run has been waning. It's the post-marathon recovery that has stretched on too long. I am headed out tomorrow AM after the kids are at school. Must pull out the jogging stroller first though. And my new Garmin is on the way!!! Can't wait! Should be here by next week at the latest. THEN I'll be motivated! How's everyone else doing? Anyone with an anniversary? New big number day? New quitters?
    Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

tech geek

i had a crazy weekend myself. lots going on. and no smoking on my end either. Today is 80 days of no smoking. Yay... school has started back up again so until i get regulated on this schedule, i will be hit and miss as a poster.

Gotta TRI

Hey Kris, Thanks for starting the thread this week, and thanks for starting me on the road to marathondom. Big grin Doing great smoking wise and not too bad otherwise. gots me some new sneaks the other day and put 6 miles on them tonight. They feel great!!! I had been getting some right foot pain after about 4miles or so, which sucked as I was up to 12. So, stoppped running for a week or so, and actually got fitted for these and things seem good. Anyways.. sounds like you had a busy weekend. Smile How's the rest of the posse doing? Roll call!! Drayz, Sully, Holo, Jen, Megs Talk to ya later, hope everyone is doing well Big grin Andy
        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
        obiebyke

Hey! What about me?! Wink I'm on my second week of not running to heal my shin, and going bananas. But I'm going to go to the gym again today and get on the recumbent bike. In smoking news, I kinda wanted it to be a surprise, but I don't think I can wait: next Monday will be six months without a cigarette! Woohoo! Good job, everyone else. Ramp it up!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

24 days of not smoking!!!! Although I so should have used Chantix- DH quit on Wed and is totally fine (and he has been smoking since conception!) and I still am having some big urges! Lat week was a crap week when it come to running though. I decided to take a rest day on Monday just because, on Wed I realized I forgot my shoes- so I couldn't run, and Friday I had a wonderful run planned out and when I was almost there I realized I forgot my cell phone at work and had to turn around to go back- by the time I got through traffic etc...it was dark. But the good news is- I ordered a treadmill on Sat and I should have it sometime mid Feb. I can't wait! I sometimes it sucks not being able to run from home (I got sick of being attacked by dogs- and running alone on deserted country roads is not too safe) or missing a run because I don't have anyone to watch the kids. Plus, I could get up early and run in the morning! I can't believe how excited I am about getting a treadmill considering I really really hate to run on treadmills! I did have a nice fun run yesterday though. It was cold and rainy and I went on a trail run. It was so much fun splashing through the mud puddles and running by tourists wearing rain jackets, heavy sweaters, and carrying umbrellas while wearing only a t-shirt and shorts! Although the mud made for some really slow going and a mess out of my car- it was a blast! Andy congrats on the new shoes! I love new shoes! I am getting some new ones in a couple of weeks. I can't wait until I can say I have been smoke free for 80 days or even 6 months not to mention running a marathon! You guys are my heroes!

Big Chicken!

Hey! What about me?! Wink In smoking news, I kinda wanted it to be a surprise, but I don't think I can wait: next Monday will be six months without a cigarette! Woohoo! Good job, everyone else. Ramp it up!
              Way to go Okie!!! Great job!
              obiebyke

Thanks! Ha. Okie. I kind of like it. But it's really Obie. That's what they call people who went/go to Oberlin College. Go Yeomen! (Worst mascot ever, right? I know.) Drazy--I'll be interested to know how school and not smoking goes. Is this the first time you've been a student and a nonsmoker? I'm resigning from my soul-deadening job at the end of June and starting grad school in September, and I'm a little worried that the decrease in structure will lead to temptation. You know, smoking used to be such a great way to procrastinate and de-stress in college! So, stick with it, keep running even when you have a paper due, and keep me/us informed over here.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

My legs are killing me

Sounds like everyone is doing great! Thats good to hear. I know that when my wife smokes around me it smells really bad so that keeps me away from it. Finally ran pain free in the groin area yesterday so that is much better but now I'm getting a pain on the side of my right leg. I don't think its a big deal and I'll just rest today, which I had scheduled anyway. I just decided that if I'm hurt I'm going to cross train like crazy and try to build my endurance that way. The last four weeks have been tough but I think I'm coming out of it and can get ready for the NJ marathon May 4th. It's funny, I was aways afraid to take days off from running because I was really afraid of turning into a couch potato again. But the time off has made me realize that I AM a runner and I don't think I could stop. The only thing I could think of during this injury is when I can run. Yesterday, I biked 7 miles and got on the treadmill and was running, fairly pain free, and I was happy. I kept thinking "this is what I enjoy doing". Good luck to everyone! Keep up the good work. We have to get more people in our group!

Gotta TRI

Hey! What about me?! Wink Oh crap!! I knew I'd miss someone. Sorry bout that Big grin Way to go on 6 months!! Sounds like I'm a month behind you. Is the shin getting any better? Is it constant or just when you run? Shin splints? Have you tried toe raises? I did those for shin splints early on in my running and knock on wood haven't had any issues with shins since. ( two cents Big grin) Dray good to hear from you again too. 80 days is a very good mark!! Congrats! Holo, I told you Chantix was the bomb Wink But congrats on doing it without!! You have surpassed 21 days, the time it takes to build a habit, so you have now officially created the habit of NOT smoking. Granted, the battle wll go on, but it gets easier day by day, and of course running helps. Congrats to the DH too! Sully, Glad to hear the injury is getting better. Are you running a full marathon in May? I found out there is about 800 signed up for the Half at the Hamptons next week. This will be my first big event. I've done 1 5k that was about 100 people. can't wait for Disney, 18000+ people YIKES. Well keep it up EX'S!! Big grin Andy

My legs are killing me

Yes Andy doing the full marathon. I was running yesterday thinking of the Hampton 1/2 and I was po'd because I wanted to do that one. Good luck! It looks like a good one.

Big Chicken!

Sully, I'm running May 4th too! I'll be thinking of you as I dry the sweat off my brow after the entire 15K (9.3 miles). I'm doing the Minnie Marathon 15K at Disney. Love Disney! Can't wait for your race report. Glad to hear your injury is letting up. You are gonna make it!!

Gotta TRI

Kris, That may 4th race, is that this year? Disney? I"m going to be in disney on vacation then, and was hoping to find a race somewhere. Andy Ummm... check that. I looked into that and it looks like maybe a womens race? It's kind of close to that half on the 10th I've got anyhow. It's all good. Andy

My legs are killing me

Kris, I'll be thinking of you too! If I'm still alive, I'll post my race report. Although I know it won't be nearly as good as yours, which was excellent. Andy, you could always run in drag. lol

Gotta TRI

Hey Sully!! I don't know why it took me so long but I just read your bio and saw how the Dick & Rick Hoyt story motivated you and all. I would totally agree with you on that and have to add that I met them! They were up here for the 70.3 last year. Anyways, that was it, Take it easy, Andy

Big Chicken!

Kris, Ummm... check that. I looked into that and it looks like maybe a womens race? It's kind of close to that half on the 10th I've got anyhow. It's all good. Andy
                                Andy, It's not just for women. I even e-mailed the race directors to find out and they sent confirmation that men are welcome. You just can't win any awards unless you are on a team (must have a woman on the team). And there's also a 5K that weekend as well (Saturday?). And it's Flower and Garden Festival time at Epcot as well! Wow, what a great weekend! I can't wait. 90 days till I leave!! Where are you and DW staying?