Ex-smokers support

1/21/08 to 1/28/08 (Read 311 times)

Hey everyone! Happy Monday! Just saw that no one started this week's thread so I thought I'd go for it. How is everyone doing this week? It's absolutely freezing here in Michigan. It's a lot easier to see the smokers outside freezing their behinds off. They look miserable and I can only imagine how they feel. Kris- How you feeling after that race? I loved your race report, by the way. It was amazing and sounds like an amazing journey! Andy- Congrats on five months yesterday!! How was running for you this weekend? Holo- How goes the non-smoking? Sully, Drayz, Jen- How was your weekend? Hope everyone's doing great!
    Meg http://megs411nosmoke.blogspot.com/

Gotta TRI

Hey Megs! Glad to hear from you. Happy Anniversary! Wink Things are well with me. Got in an easy 3 miles the other day, and 1200 yds swimming yesterday. I've got to see a pro for new shoes. I'm getting a wicked right foot pain after 4-5 miles. My chiropractor ( also a runner/ ironman) has looked at my gait and says my foot is rolling in on that side. Unfortunatly the nearest running store is quite a ways away so I have'nt gotten down thwere yet. Other than that, It's REALLY cold out here as well, glad to see the Patriots win 18-0!!! But I was kind of pulling for Green Bay. Oh well. Thanks for starting the week for us. How's everyone else doing? Let's hear it out there Big grin Andy
      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
      obiebyke

Still smoke-free, but now I'm injured. Very bummed and embarrassed, because folks were telling me I was running too fast. Blush So now I have a leg injury that I'm hoping isn't a stress fracture. I'm scared about it. Go Pats! I'm from Minnesota and watched the other game with my buddy from Wisconsin, so although I was internally cheering against the Pack, I had to pretend to be sad when the Giants pulled it out. Wink Plus, I think the Pats have a better chance of beating the Giants than the Pack for a perfect season. Keep smoke free, everybody! You can do it!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I am on day 17. I did cheat once- one puff at day 13- it was disgusting! It is a little frustrating to really really want to have a cigarette, taking one puff and realizing that it is gross, but still wanting one anyway. Isn't it weird to want something you don't want? Overall the whole quiting thing is getting a lot easier. I keep thinking of what I want to buy myself as a reward for quiting, I want an amphipod full tilt fuel belt, the stick, and a treadmill. What is really bad is that I am actually not saving $$ by not smoking since I always refused to buy the cigarettes- it was always my DH that kept me supplied. But I still think I deserve to reward myself! DH is scheduled to quit on Wed- I can't wait. I seriously can not stand the smell anymore! Plus he is running with a team in an ultra marathon on Sat- I think it would be a little embarrassing to be seen smoking while participating in an ultra. Obie- hope it isn't a stress fracture and hope it heals fast.

tech geek

Hello all, Meg: thanks for starting the thread for this week. I was a slacker over the weekend. 2 weeks of the roomie and i being sick meant some cleaning to be done this past weekend. It has been very cold here as well. And as I am going across campus, I see everyone outside smoking. I am so thankful that is not me. Andy: congrats on 5 months. that is so awesome. keep it up. obie: congrats on keeping smoke free. remember to rest, ice, and elevate. it is important. when i first started running, my legs always hurt slow or fast. it sucked. holo: quitting smoking is hard. I know I cheated on time after i had been drinking at the office christmas party. I smoked. it was horrible and gross. We all slept at a co-workers because it was close to our job. When morning rolled around, I wanted to smoke again and I felt repulsed at the time. Then one of my co-workers had to hurry up to go out in the cold, to go to the gas station, and buy cigarettes. So he could stand out in the cold at 8:30 am and smoke. Not my idea of a good time while hungover. That kind of nipped the urge to ever start smoking again. it gets easier as time goes on. hang in there. there is a lot more freedom of time and movement as a non smoker.
            obiebyke

Thanks, Drazy. Going to the doc tomorrow. Cross your fingers.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Gotta TRI

Hey Gang! OBIE: Sorry to hear about the injury. Sad Good luck at the docs, Keep us posted. HOLO: sorry to hear about the slip up. Something about 13. But don't worry bout it, you're doing great!! Fuel belt is a great reward, I've been meaning to get one of those too! Big grin DRAYZ: Sorry to hear you've been sick Sad That's a bummer. I do hope you are feeling better. SULLY: How's things with you? Your injury getting better? I've been dealing with some right foot pain on my longer runs. So I've been swimming and cycling and doing shorter runs. Feb. 10th is coming fast Shocked KRIS: Recovering from the big day? My wife and a friend of ours and of course myself, want to do Disney next year. You have inspired us!! Big grin So. Sounds like we are all nursing injuries, or fighting colds, or struggling with smoking, so how bout some things to pick us up. Let's see... There's American Idol, The upcoming Super Bowl, January is almost over, Dunkin Donuts commercials, and....pg.59 of Triathlete Magazine- a local kid in my town- don't know him personally, but noticed the school logo. Anyhoo..Keep on smiling EX's. Andy

Big Chicken!

Sounds like a bad week already. Injuries, illnesses, slip-ups...no matter. We can get through it! I have since recovered from the marathon and am training for May's 15K. I have changed strategies and I think it's making me much happier. Andy, I hope to see you, your wife and friend out there next year. It's a fun race, if you can call it a race. There's charactrs out along the course. People stop to take pictures along the way. A very laid back and fun atmosphere, at least mid- and back-of-the-pack. Smile I realized the other day just how much the Spanish smoke. They all bike and run but they all smoke and drink as well. I guess if you've been doing it that way since the beginning it might work but I can't imagine doing it. I couldn't run a full 30 seconds when I smoked. I had to quit to be able to run. And running after more than one drink the night before just ain't happening. Have a great rest of the week everyone! All bad weeks come to an end. Start tomorrow with a smile!
                  Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

My legs are killing me

It's starting to sound like a MASH unit in here. I'm still on the DL so I won't be joining you for the Hamptons Andy. I'm ok walking but when I run a get a pain in my groin area at a mile and a half. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow so we'll see what happens. Yesterday I got on the treadmill at the gym, put the incline up as far as it could go and walked for an hour. It felt good to sweat. Good luck on your doctor visit Obie. Sounds like everyone is doing well not smoking. Is anyone going to see the "Spirit of the Marathon" tomorrown night! I bought my ticket a few weeks ago and am looking forward to it. And remember, America loves an underdog so you all can root for my NY GIANTS!!!!!!!! lol

Gotta TRI

Sorry Sully, But I HAVE to go with the PATRIOTS. 1. 18-0 2. AFC Champs 3. I live in New England-NH 4. The whole Boston Vs. NY thing. What's the Spirit of the Marathon thing I've been hearing about? Andy

My legs are killing me

Andy, it's a movie about 5 people running the Chicago marathon in 2005. Here is the link http://www.marathonmovie.com/home.html . It looks like a good one.

Gotta TRI

Cool, Thanks Sully

Big Chicken!

Sully, have fun at the movie. Sounds like a good one. I'll have to wait for the DVD since I highly doubt it will be around here. And good luck with the doc. And Andy, I think I am going Pats this year. Was never much of a Giants fan (sorry Sully) but NEVER expect to see me rooting for the Red Sox. By marriage I am a Browns fan and, well, you know how that's going. Tongue
                            Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

tech geek

I hope everyone feels better. I went to the indoor track last night. Did not make it running long. Lots of coughing and burning from 3 weeks of sickness and no activity. lol. it was rough. but i will keep at it. good job on the not smoking every one. I live in the midwest. and am a colts fan. so i say no to Pats and GO GIANTS!!!!
                                Wow, we are one healthy bunch, huh? Smile I'd like to say I'm looking forward to the super Bowl, but the wrong Manning is going and I lost a bet and now I have to wear a Pats jersey and I hate the Pats. Boo to Super Bowl...football is dead to me. Wink Other than that, how's everyone? I had two days off of work and was bored out of my mind, so in a sick way I'm glad I'm back. Unfortunately, when I get bored, I eat which is never good when one is trying to lose weight. Oh well. Hope all is well and we're keeping up with the quitting!
                                Meg http://megs411nosmoke.blogspot.com/