Ex-smokers support

1/11/08-1/20/08 (Read 320 times)

tech geek

I am starting a new weekly thread. This one will run until next Sunday. And I will start them new every week. How is everyone? I have been sick this week, so no running, no trips to the gym etc.. I am going insane. I start classes again on Monday. The stress and lack of exercise has made me want to smoke.. But I have been hanging in there. Holo: How goes it?

My running partner!

I feel for you, but hang in there. Just think of how good you will feel when you do get back to running. I have been off this week too because of a painful ear infection. I'm on 11 days of no smoking and going strong just can't wait to run again. My husband started back smoking but I am determined never to go back. I signed up for an 8 k march and a 5 k in February and that is keeping me motivated for now. I think it was you who said that smoking is not an option! Stick with it.
      Kat
        Finishing up day 7 of not smoking Cool!!!! I have not cheated once! Haven't even seriously thought about cheating! I am feeling pretty proud of myself! I really think this group helps- even though I don't know any of you I feel accountable. I really don't want to fess up to cheating and I really don't want to lie either, so the easiest thing to do is not to smoke! drayz and justdidit- hope you start feeling better soon!

Gotta TRI

Hey Gang!! Thanks Dray for starting this weeks thread.I'm glad somebody is on top of things. Wink Sorry to hear you're under the weather Sad It's no fun when you can't run. Hey I made a rhyme Big grin I know it gets hard when you start adding up stressors and all, but I know you can do it. I've just started classes myself, looking at a career change and contemplating a move to boot. Something about turning 40 I think. Roll eyes But you know, smoking like you said, IS NOT AN OPTION. We are better than that now. We are better people now. We are non-smokers. So hang in there D. Justdidit: Glad to hear you're on 11 days. That's great!! It's got to be tough when DH has started again, But if you can stick with it he may come around again. Lead by example kind of thing. Having race dates is great motivation. It's why i've booked almost all of 2008 already. Keep us posted on those Big grin Holo: You are doing great. Before you know it 7 days will be 14, and 14 will become 21 ( and so on...) The key here is 21. This is a big day.Why? I'll tell you. It takes 21 days to make a habit. At 21 days you will have created the habit of not smoking. so keep your eyes on the prize, you'll do fine. I have to say, this site, and these invisible friends have been a tremendous source of inspiration motivation and consolation. Hey Sully, Kris and Megs Big grin Hope all is well with you. Andy
          2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

tech geek

Thanks guys. I am feeling better today. It is a little cold outside, so I am going to hit the gym instead of outside. It is far to hard to breathe in the cold and I am just kind of breathing normal today. Well for the most part. lol. I am doing much better today. I just needed some unwind time. World of Warcraft into the wee hours of the morning does the trick apparently. Today is day 64 of no smoking for me. Yay. I am having house guests from out of town next weekend if all goes well and it will be the first time I have seen them since I quit. I feel good that we can do a bunch of things without me hanging back to smoke, or saying I will be in in a minute. lol. i know you all know what i am talking about. Smoking is not an option. Running is an option. taking down the christmas tree is an option, cleaning my house is an option. but as we know at the end of day smoking will only make my life suck vs making it better. Andy: 5 months. wow congrats.. justdidit: 11 days. way to go. that is awesome keep it up. btw.. your "running partner" is way cute. holo: a week of no smoking. Way To Go. go do something nice for yourself. that is what i did at one week. I love spicy food. i mean really really love it. (even more since i quit smoking) There is an Indian restaurant on campus that has fantastic food. They have this one dish called Bombay Chicken Chili. It is good but the only thing I have ever encountered that was to spicy for me. So on one week of quitting smoking, I went there. Ordered the chicken chili with naan and killed the whole bowl. Man was it good. spicy but good. fyi i have an iron stomach. lol. That was my 1 week present/challenge to myself. I thought well if I could quit smoking, I can conquer this. Keep it up folks. You guys rock.

Gotta TRI

Hey Gang! Had to give a quick shout cause I'm on cloud nine right now. Just ran--12 miles!!! Big grin technically I should say 11.7, I walked the last .3 but hey. It's such a boost cuz yesterday was kind of crappy. wife and I were kind of on each others nerves, things weren't going well on something I was working on and stuff. I actuallly said out loud at one point I really want a cigarrette!!! Thank god I didn't, but i's the first time in months I've really wanted one. So today " the Ironman" called, asked if I was going for a run, and well 12 miles and 2 hours later, I was practically crawling Black eye Wow were my legs tight, felt like lead,but man what a rush!! Well, gang, just had to share. I hope all are doing well, and hanging in there. talk to ya soon. Andy
              obiebyke

GREAT Andy! I'm so glad you didn't smoke, and a long run is a great reward, even if it was a push. That's awesome.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

My legs are killing me

Way to go Andy! The weather has been great for running here in the northeast. I m still out of action with a groin strain. Ran a mile yesterday and started to have pain so I stopped but didn't have any pain the rest of the day. So today I figured I could stretch it to 2 miles and still had some pain but figured if the rest of the day was pain free I could live with it. Well I've had pain the rest of the day so I guess I'm out a few more days. It really sucks because I feel like I have nothing to do and I'm bored and I feel like my training schedule for a couple of long races is way out of wack. This could keep me out of one race. Without running my thoughts are turning to you know what and it is not good!
                    ANDY!!! YOU ROCK!!! That's so awesome. Look at you, you non-smoker, you. And Holo, BIG CONGRATS OUT TO YOU! Every day gets easier, I promise! Sully, anyway you can do any water workouts? I had to do that with an ankle sprain and at least it was something physical... Good luck, you can do it! As for me, I had a great weekend. Went out with my sister on Friday night to dinner and a movie (we saw Juno, very good!). Sister is a smoker so as soon as we got out of the movie she lit one up and I realized I really don't miss that feeling where you HAVE TO HAVE ONE as soon as you get out of a movie or off a plane. Know what I mean? And Saturday we went out for a friend's birthday and realized that in the last month the majority has changed from almost all smokers to almost all NON-smokers. Funny how that works! How's everyone else?
                    Meg http://megs411nosmoke.blogspot.com/

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Hi everyone! Holo: Congrats on your first week! I think the first few are the hardest but it will get better. Justdidit: woohoo on your 11 days! Congrats!!! Andy: Way to go on 12 miles! I have been taking a break and I really gotta get myself back out there! Dray: Hope you are feeling better Sully: take it easy you don't want to overdue it and be out even longer! Are you totally against yoga? It'll help keep your stretched and flexible while your not running. Meg: Isn't it awesome realizing you are no longer a smoker? As for me I'm still trying to get out on the road... I can't believe January is already half over and I've only gotten out to run a handful of times! I have a small announcement!!! I posted this in another post but I'm doing it again because I'm so proud. As of Today January 14, 2008 I have been a non-smoker for 1 year! Big grin
                      -Jen
                      2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                        JEN! THAT IS AWESOME! Yay for you for being a non-smoker for a year....and now a day. Look at you, you rock star! We should all be so lucky. I'm sure it's been hard, but you are an inspiration for us all! Big grin
                        obiebyke

Woohoo for Jen! My six months date is coming up. I'd love to get a massage, but I think someone else should pay for it. Am I right or am I right? Big grin

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Obie you are so right the massage should be someone else's treat. You're working to keep up the quitting, that's all you should have to focus on.
                              Okay I'm now in the double digits- today is day 11. Physically it is SO SO SO much easier, however psychologically it seems to be getting a little harder. I am no longer on Christmas break, so I have back to work stressors, I am behind on a couple of classes I am taking, plus I am ADHD and the newness of the challenge has worn off.......................... But on the up side; I haven't cheated once, my dh picked up his Chantix today so hopefully soon there will be no temptation in the house, and I am determined not to quit quiting!

Gotta TRI

Great attitude Holo!!! You are ten days away from "making" the habit of non smoking. Having DH quit as well will make it so much easier for both of you. You're doing great!!! Andy