Ex-smokers support

I'm being cut off (Read 506 times)

I used ( am using) wellbutrin to help me quit smoking (three months tomorrow). I still REALLY REALLY want a cigarette, but am doing better. I do think that the meds help- but I called in for my refill and was told that my dr would only give me one more month of the prescription. I do not feel comfortable yet being on my own with not smoking and would like to continue with the meds. Is there a reason they would cut me off? I am going to see my dr to see if I can get more, but was wondering if there would be a reason not to continue it. (I am now sounding like a druggie!)

Gotta TRI

Holo, Sorry to hear that you are still having a tough time quitting. My advice ( and take it for what it's worth ) is if you are going to see your Dr. anyhow for more welbutrin, ask about trying Chantix instead. Definatly ask if there would be any conflicts with swithching between the two. I know a number of us here have taken the Chantix with great sucess. Personally it worked with only one months prescription for me. This translates to less money paid out for "drugs" and a quicker end to a means,ie; you'll have quit smoking. Big grin Again, just my opinion. I know all of us here are pulling for you. We all have the same goal, so please hang in there. It will happen, and it will get easier. If there's anyhing else I can do for you give me a shout. Andy
      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

My legs are killing me

Holo, I agree with Andy ask about the Chantix. I really turns off the cravings and should be a big help. It looks like your kicking butt with your running! Why spoil all that good work with smoking? Hang in there - You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Would Chantix really work now that I am not smoking? I haven't smoked for three months now- I just WANT to smoke which is really frustrating since I know even if I did smoke it would not live up to what I am craving.....also would a dr prescribe chantix for someone who it "looks" like is doing good with quiting?

My legs are killing me

Chantix is really great for turning off those cravings. That's what it does. I think it could help you through this period.

Gotta TRI

I'd still ask your doctor about any side effects or issues with taking it but yes I beleive it would work. If, however, doc, says no to Chantix for whatever reasons I would recommend things like...Nicorrette gum, or just chewing gum, any kind of substitutes for actual cigs. I would also say to you, look at how far you have come, 3 months!!!! You have absolutly kicked the habit! Cravings unfortunatly will always be there to some extent but if you look at where you're at now, and realize how much better you feel, you can usually get through a craving. When all else fails... go for a run! Big grin Don't worry though, we'll get you through this. Hang in there. Andy
              2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon