Ex-smokers support

I have never wanted to smoke more than the other night! (Read 468 times)

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

In about a month I will pass the 2 year mark and the other night I was THIS CLOSE to asking a guy for a smoke. The ONLY thing that stopped me was fear that one drag would get me hooked and I couldn't afford it right now! I have smelled smoke before and thought umm that'd be nice but never have I gotten that close to actually smoking one. I watched my friend smoke and enjoy his ciggerette and I wanted to ask him for one so badly, I was almost jealous that he could smoke and I couldn't. It was the oddest feelings! I need to get my fat ass back out and running b/c I am too stressed out right now and I'm sure that is what triggered it!
    -Jen
    2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

Gotta TRI

Hey Jen, Sorry to hear that you're so stressed right now. It's certainly a stressful time for ..well everybody right now. I hope you can hold on though and not slip back into smoking. I mean 2 years is an incredible milestone. My only advice ( just trying to help ) Big grin is to try and keep running. Easier said than done, I know. Quite honestly, I hate getting out there to run myself. Which is why I keep booking races and events. Without the impending deadline of a race I have no motivation to get out there. Obviously, there are all the other tricks of the trade that I know you know of ie; chewing gum, substitutions, etc.. Remember, it's the "concept" of smoking that's calling to you right now, not the addiction. Just remember how hard it was to beat the addiction, I'm sure you don't want to go through all that again. I'm sure you'll be fine, you know you have support here, and we're glad to help. I'll get off the soap box now. Good to hear from you again, take care. Andy
      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

My legs are killing me

Jen, Way to stay strong and get through your craving. It just goes to show you the power of those little sticks and because we are addicts, it is a demon that is always out there. After almost 2 years of not smoking it is an easy thing to say "I have control over this and one won't hurt me", but you have to (and you did) realize that it can and will hurt you. There is no good that can come of that one cigarette. Hang in there Jen. As Andy said, it's a stressfull time for all of us and it's much better to go for a run than smoke.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Hey guys, I didn't have one and though the feeling stayed for a few days I walked by smokers earlier today and didn't get the intense craving I've felt the last few days! I was pretty darn happy since the craving/need came out of left field. it's stress I know but holy cow it through me for a loop! I have one more week of finals from school and I just can't wait! With my schedule it's hard to get out on the road and I haven't ran a race since October but my 2009 goal is to run something at least once a month! thanks for the support!
          -Jen
          2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!