Ex-smokers support

Any Cool Running ex-smokers? (Read 270 times)

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Hello everyone! I am a Cool Runner and we used to have a weekly thread on CR for us quitters, I have been trying to find everyone over the last few weeks and have only found a handful so I just found this board and was wondering if anyone else found there way here? A little about me, I had my first smoke when I was 12... I still remember it like it was yesterday. I smoked a little, less than 1/2 a pack all the way thru middle school and High School. I was an all-state Track & Field, I did high jump for indoor/outdoor and I did long and triple jump for outdoor. I was a runner but not a fast runner because of smoking, I accepted that... I still ran the Boston marathon in 95 and finished in a little over 5 hours. When I went to college the coach kicked me off the track team because I smoked, I told him it wasn't a lot and I'd quit... I never quit and I never ran another race again. Many many years later (12 actually) my wonderful pack a day husband and I who was now at a pack to a pack and a half a day decided enough was enough we had to quit. It took me 6 months but on January 14, 2006 I spent my first day as a non smoker for the first time in 18 years. It's been almost a year and I can safety say all in all it wasn't that bad. Not that it was easy but once I finally had that last cigarette and I woke up that day and said this is it no smokes. I then gained about 20 lbs and realized maybe I should do something about this! On May 1st I started the couch to 5K plan and oh my can you say heart attack? I had to start with 30 seconds of running, I could barely catch my breath! It wasn't until August of that year (funny when I finally got to week 5 20 min run) that my lungs finally caught up with my body and I could finally fully breath again!) I'm currently running 5Ks regularly (well not lately I've been busy) and my next race is on the 20th.
    -Jen
    2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

Gotta TRI

Hey Jen! Welcome to RA. There is at least a couple of us from CR here. Sully,Megs,Dray and Kris are here. We've been trying to keep this thread going and are meeting new non-smokers as well. I think ( I hope )you will like this site. It really is pretty good. Nice to "see" you again. BTW, I"m going on 5months smoke free, up to almost 10 miles for a run ( as well as biking and swimming) and first event coming up Feb. 10. Half marathon! Yikes!! Shocked Welcome again, Andy
      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

tech geek

Jen, glad you found your way. there are several of us here, and more coming every day. 1 year of no smoking that is so awesome. good luck on the 20th.

My legs are killing me

Hi Jenn, good to see you over here. This is a much easier site to get around and most of the old crew is here. Brace for our nor easter!

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

YEAH I found some of you!!! So guess what today is???? my 1 year anni of quitting! I can't believe I can say I quit smoking a year ago today!!! Glad to hear you all are doing good! How much snow did you get sully? We got a good 6-7 inches, I had to shovel it all before coming into work... luckily it was pretty easy to shovel and helps my traps get more toned! Cool
            -Jen
            2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

Gotta TRI

Hey Jen ,Congratulations!! Big grin 1 Year!! Great job! Can't wait to hit that marker. Good for you!! Andy
              2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon