Ex-smokers support

The not smoking difference (Read 538 times)

My legs are killing me

I have a very hilly route I run every once in a while when I'm in the mood to torture myself. It's very challenging with some long and big hills (800ft elevation). The last time I ran this was a few months ago when in my pre-quiting days and I did the 5 mile course in 53:35. Well after 2 months of being a "non" I ran it yesterday in 48:30. A minute a mile faster! There is no way I could ever do that course, in that time, smoking. This course would bust anyone's lungs but I was shocked at how much of an improvement it was. Does anyone else have any similar stories of improving after quiting?

Gotta TRI

Absolutly Sully!! Within 2 months of quitting I ran my first 5k. ( 29:23 ). Three months after that I attempted a Half Marathon. (2;22:08 ). Neither of these events would have been possible without quitting smoking. Granted these weren't great finishing times but they are finishes nonetheless. They are also what keep me from going back to smoking.
      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

My legs are killing me

Hey Andy good to see you! I think the snow may finally be over. Have you beeen running?

Gotta TRI

Dude I am sorry to say I have not. BUT, I'm getting the itch to, so I hope to get out there soon. I have not done anything since that half mary in Feb. This winter totally kicked my @$$! ( Thay are talking more this week as well!!) tomorrow should be in the 40's-50's so I want to run after work. We'll see. how bout you? Been running? Injury free? Smoke free? Talk to ya soon, Andy

My legs are killing me

Everything is good. Injury and sickness are gone and the last few weeks I've worked myself back. I have a 1/2 to do on April 6th so getting pumped up for that. Gotta get out and run Andy! Come on! Let the snow sit on the roofs.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Hey guys! I completely agree with you sully, there is this hill on my route, it's not long but by god it's steep! I remember the first time I ran it without to much huffin & puffin and I was so proud of myself! I have a 5 mile next weekend that I'm not ready for I've been so busy and haven't been able to run too much lately! I hear you on the itch though, I want to run just don't have the time! This weekend I'm planning a long run though!
              -Jen
              2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
              obiebyke

I don't know how much of it is because of not smoking, but I have always struggled to run even a mile, and yesterday I ran my first race ever! 5K! I apologize to anyone who's in multiple groups with me, because I'm announcing it everywhere. What can I say? I'm excited and proud. Check out my report if you want: http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/bc9395b3c01a42b0b36975d531926ae0

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

My legs are killing me

Good job Obie! It's always good to get that first race out of the way. You'll just get faster from here.

Gotta TRI

Way to go Obie!! Isn't it great to say you've run a race?!! Can't wait to read your RR. Congrats!! Andy