Ex-smokers support

Here it is! My first race report! (Read 512 times)

Gotta TRI

Well gang, here it is. My first ever race report. I will try to be brief. Original plan, be on the road for 7:00am for the 2 hr. drive south to pick up race packets and such. Actual plan, left at 7:38am. (Not too bad) It snowed overnight and we had about 5" in the driveway and State and Town crews were out plowing and sanding roads almost all of the way down. Something I forgot to add in to our planning was the umpteen toll booths we had to cross to get to our destination. So, 2 hrs. and nearly $5.00 later we were pulling in to the race site. 9:30am, 35degrees F, partly cloudy. Ran in to pick up packets and hit the bathrooms. DW had been nervous all morning, rather anxious bout our endeavor, surprisingly I didn't feel all that bad. Between 10:00 and 11:00am we kept changing our wardrobes so to speak. We dressed more towards the warmer side figuring we were on the seacoast, but then the sun came out!! Well, when the starting gun went off and we took off, we both decided we were overdressed!!! The race had pacers running with us so I fell in with the 9:30 group. ( a little ambitious in hindsight ) DW opted to run with the 10:00 group. ( a little more realistic ) At this point I was feeling great! I was running pretty strong, not fast, but strong, things felt good, I'm running with about 1000 other runners, the sun's still out, life is good. I find myself running in the 9:00 pace group. At about mile 4, my left foot starts hurting a bit. Im like, this isn't good, I've got like 9 more miles to go, Things aren't supposed to hurt yet. So i keep on running, I start reciting names from the EX-smokers group in my head. Sullly.. ow ow Kris ow ow Obie ow ow. Now I'm running in the 9:30 pace group again. The first water stop had gone pretty well at mile 4, I managed to get some of the water in my mouth and pretty much wore the rest. At mile 6 there was water and a bathroom!! ( Did I mention that I've had to pee since the gun went off! ) As I enter the little green box I see my DW nearing. I quickly take care of business, grab another water, and run off after her. She was surprised to see me, but glad I was running with her again. We start comparing aches and pains, had a few laughs, and broke out the Hammer gel. shortly there after s we were rounding a bend, we hear sirens and horns up ahead. My initial thought was support for the runners. Well, it was, but not what I wanted to see. There was a runner down with emergency crews doing full blown CPR on him!! This is not good I think to myself. What the hell am I doing out here!! It's only mile 7 and there's like 14 miles to go!! By mile 8 DW has passed me again, I"ve grabbed another water and a GU. Somewhere in here is where I slow down to a walk. My left foot is screaming, my knees ache, quads are getting tight, but hey at least the weather is holding.....wait minute.... it's spitting snow!! By mile 9 I'm running Confused again. I catch DW yet again. Hey, there's only 20 miles left to go!! we are now running right down the seacoast, into a headwind, driving snow but at least I'm moving, sort of. More walk alittle, run alittle. Have now officially lost sight of DW. Mile 11, only 25 miles to go, last water stop of the race, drank too much too fast, everything hurts, can't run anymore, start walking. Mile 12. This is it. Must make one final attempt at running. OWIE OWIE OWIE!!! My run looks like something out of an early Frankenstein movie, and my face is twisted in agony, oh wait a camera man! Must... smile... for... picture. Ow. Where the hell is the finish line? OMG there it is, around the bend on the other side of the bay!!! Mile 13 yeah!! It's ov....Damn! Another tenth of a mile to go!! There's DW! She runs in with me. I finish with a 2:22:08. She gets in with 2:16:39. We grab a couple of bites and some water and head for the car. Totally frozen to the core!! we sit in the car wit the heat on, got out of our wet clothes, in to some dry ones and head back in for the race results and a beer! We all get finishers medals. She actually places in her age group as a newbie ( or would have if her registration listed her as FEMALE!) It didn't, my bad or theirs who knows, they threw her a prize anyways. It's all good. Overall, in hindsight, very happy with results. I mean c'mon, I did just quit smoking 6 months ago, right? Next one is in May, hope to do better! There you have it gang. 1st race. ( well 1st BIG race) Andy
    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

Fool

Congrats! I had better weather just North of Boston and hit the treadmill instead. Amazing to think you've gone from quitting smoking to completing a half marathon in six months. Just amazing.

My legs are killing me

Good job Andy! It is a great milestone to achieve. It's too bad your foot acted up again but look at the bright side, next time you'll kill this time. I wish I was there with you. I really wanted to run that race. The running gods have been against me for the last 5 weeks. First a groin injury keeps me out 3.5 weeks get back to running then I catch the flu. Out another week. Get a good week of running in, feeling like I'm getting up to speed then I find out Wed I have pneumona. So I've been in bed since then. aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. It's driving me crazy. It looks like my marathon the first week of May is out. I'm too far behind the curve. I was there in spirit with you today and was wondering how you were doing. You have alot to be proud of! Congratulations!!!!

Gotta TRI

Hey Sully, Sorry to hear you've been down. I knew you had gotten past the groin pull, but hadn't heard you've been sick. That's too bad. the weather today would not have helped you at all! Big grin Hope you feel better soon buddy! Andy
          obiebyke

Andy-- Just cuz it wasn't pretty doesn't mean it wasn't AWESOME! Congratulations. But hey, I'm not seeing a red bar on that log yet. You earned it--put it up! Have a great couple of days resting and feeling satisfied.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Big Chicken!

WOO-HOO Andy!! Awesome job! It's so true that the farther you get the longer it is to the finish line! Sorry to hear the conditions sucked. But now you've given yourself an easy time to beat next time out. And Disney will be a piece of cake! Well, at least there's no snow Tongue And congrats to your DW winning an award!
              Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
                Andy, you rock! I loved the race report! Amazing that six months ago you were smoking. Can't wait to see the pics from the camera guy. Wonder if he caught you between a grimace and a smile... Smile
                Meg http://megs411nosmoke.blogspot.com/

Gotta TRI

I just read the race homepage and the guy they were doing CPR on did pass away Cry That's really scary. He looked like he was in good shape, and was a longtime runner. I guess you never know. MTA: Thanks for all the kudos gang! Andy

My legs are killing me

That is very scary. It's ironic too. He we are running to prolong our lives and this poor guy dies. I hope everyone has had a check up with their doctor!

Big Chicken!

I agree, Sully. We all should have a check-up. You never know. My sister had heart surgery at the age of 20. Now, I've never had issues but there's always a possibility that something is lying dormant. End of April is my next check-up that's due. I just called to schedule it before posting. Thanks for the reminder.
                      Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

tech geek

Andy: Congrats.. What a great experience and I am sure there will be more to come for you. That is really sad about the other runner passing away and kind of scary. wow.