Ex-smokers support

My first marathon (Read 455 times)

The Twister

Hi guys!i'm new here.just dicovered this site when i was planning to log my run, after i decided to quit smoking and do something useful (rather than klling myself slowly).i had hernia operation last 2006, after that it's about 6 months i did not do exercise.i smoked, eat and drink terribly. i do weights and go to gym regularly before, but after my operation i ballooned from 63 kls to a whooping 75 kls. i started my running program about 2 months ago which I downloaded from runnersworld.com. (which I follow religiously). I bought a new pair of nike air span 5 and used it the very first day of my program. As of now, im on my 2nd month. And I’m very satisfied with my running. I also do yoga on weekends to support my flexibility and do ice baths after every run. I still smoke a stick or two sometimes, but I think by the end of the year I’m all clean. Yep, I think that’s all for me.
    If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail!

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Hello and welcome! Good luck with quiting it's one of the hardest things I've ever done but so worth it!
      -Jen
      2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
      patarch1

New Haven 08

Hi, I joined this group a few months ago. It is great. The folks are always here when you need support and it is a good place to get some positive vibes during a stressful nicotine tempting day. I am going the fourth month w/o smoking. It can be done. Patarch1

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

My legs are killing me

Good job Mike. Stick with it and the smokes will be gone. Patarch - I'll be at the Hartford 1/2 tomorrow. I have my red Budwiser hat on and a "Team Hole in the Wall" t-shirt on. Say hello if you see me.
          patarch1

New Haven 08

will do, do you start in mid pack, front of the pack or wherever you feel like it?

My legs are killing me

I usually start midpack so I can give the Kenyons a head start Wink

My legs are killing me

Patarch - nice time in the Hartford 1/2! Amazing what you can do with out the smokes.
                patarch1

New Haven 08

Thanks, It was an awesome day. As I was telling my girlfriend at the end of the HM, it is not the lungs I lack now the legs do not follow. I already have two events planned for next year, New Haven 20k and Hartford HM... Patarch1

Gotta TRI

Hey Guys, How did the Hartford race go?
                    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

My legs are killing me

Hey Andy. How is it going? Stilling doing the tri s ? Hartford was great! Very nice event and I shaved 5 minutes off my pr at a 2:01:30, so I'm feeling really good about the NYC Marathon!

Gotta TRI

Nice job Sully! Great time!! You should do good at NYC! As for me.. last tri this year was in Aug. I also ran 3 legs of a relay that crossed 209 miles in like 32 hours. Next up is a 5k next weekend, a Half Mary the following weekend and the Disney Marathon in January. I'm looking forward to kickin butt at the HM but have really got to get some mileage in for the Disney race. I LOVE being a non smoker!! Great to hear from you again, great job on the race, talk to ya soon! Andy
                        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                        patarch1

New Haven 08

Being a non smoker helped for sure. What di not help is the people that were smoking next to the finish line... Hopefully I will get a picture from this race and post it as my avatar. Patarch1

My legs are killing me

No kidding about the smokers along the course. That smelled pretty nasty. Hard to believe we once did that. If you want to try a 5 mile race next year check out the Delaney Dash (Old Saybrook) on Memorial day weekend. If you like running along side the ocean you'll love this one. I've done it the last 2 years and it is my favorite course
                            patarch1

New Haven 08

ok thanks, do you know of any cool race before the end of the year? there is the manchester 5 mile on thanksgiving day I think. Patarch1

The Twister

hi there guys i'm back.had a rough week...very busy at work!but i think being busy helped me forget to think about smoking Big grin i think taking a warm bath after dinner helped me flush out those thoughts of smoking after my meals. taking coffee without sugar removes my cravings during coffee time Wink hmmmm...i think i'm on the right track eh...by the way my running program's gonna end by november.i'm excited to train for my first marathon next year hehehe. Smile
                                If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail!