Ex-smokers support

I am still alive kind of (Read 537 times)

tech geek

hey guys and girls! so i really am still alive after a bout with midterms and a really long month of other things happening. It has snowed tons this winter so my running has been sketchy at best. So on the not smoking end of things are not going so well this week. I went out a couple weeks ago and smoked at the bar. I did not smoke again for a week, but this week have been smoking on and off. That is not good. So today, I am buckling down and it seems starting all over again with not smoking. Words of encouragement would be appreciated. Its been almost 5 months and am not about wanting to go back to smoking. Thanks guys! Des
    obiebyke

Des, Stress is the enemy to not smoking. So is not running consistently. Don't be too hard on yourself. Just re-commit and start doing all the supportive self-care stuff (running, sleeping, eating better) as soon as possible (a.k.a. when midterms are over). You'll get back on the wagon. Rooting for you!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

tech geek

thanks for the support obie.. i am in the process of starting the taking care process right now, and starting back on my chantix. its really nice out today so i am thinking of gearing up for a run to see what a week of smoking has done to my body. it cant be great i imagine.

My legs are killing me

Hang in there Des. It happens. The warm weather will be here soon and you'll be back outside running. Try the gum. It will keep you mouth occupied and your thoughts away from smoking.

tech geek

thanks sully!!! so far so good. i am going out of town tomorrow so that should help i just need to unwind a little from school. and i cleaned my entire house today. that is an advantage of quitting is keeping busy. my house is always extra clean when i want to smoke but dont.
              You were there to support me when I fell off the wagon so I have to return the favor. I don't have any great advice, but what has been working for me is the commit lozenges and the one day at a time mantra "I will not smoke today (maybe tomorrow)" At least you know you CAN quit so don't quit quiting and know we are there for you!

Big Chicken!

Des, You will be fine. Just go back to making it through one day at a time. I got super stressed this week as well (the story is for another thread) and almost smoked. I STILL think the smoke would have made me feel better, even for just a minute. I stopped myself and just went on with the day. Get through today, try again tomorrow. We are here for you!
                Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

Gotta TRI

Des, I"m sorry to hear bout your relapse. It truly saddens me when one of us falls back a step or two as we have all battled so very hard to conquer our demons. This year in particular seems to be a hard one for many of us, especially this never ending winter. I too have found myself with occaisional urges to smoke ( so far so good on that front). But that is the GREAT thing about this site and the people in it. This isn't a contest to see who will go the longest. There is no judgement being cast. There are no failures, only new beginings. We are a group that stands together for a mutual purpose, a common goal, a shared experience. We are SO there for you. Our hand is reaching for you to pull you back up on to the wagon as it were. Take the Chantix, minimum one month more if needed, chew the gum, repeat the mantra, talk to us.. daily if possible, weekly if you can. We will get you through this, we'll all get through this.Take care, and keep trying. Andy
                  2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

tech geek

hey guys! even though it is cold and there was some flurry action, i put on the shorts and headed out for run. it was a little rough but felt good. the not smoking is going ok these days. i have been working out more eating a little better and just became really aware of how horrible i felt smoking. being out of breathe, heart pounding, acne. did anyone else have bad acne when smoking? it clears up when i quit. well thought i would give the update... hope all is well... Happy Easter des

My legs are killing me

Hey des, I'm happy to hear your staying away from the cigarettes! It is such a hard thing to do but when you look at all the damage it does it seems to make the decision to quit easier to take. In some ways, I think we all have to battle the urge every once and a while and I think the longer you go without it the easier it is to stay away. I do have to confess. I did smoke yesterday - I smoked my 10k PR by 4 minutes!!!!!!!!! My first race of the season and I ran a 53:25 10K. My best, by far, ever!! I'm pretty pumped. Can't do that smoking. Happy Easter!

Gotta TRI

Way to go Sully!!! You Rock!! Dude, I've got to tell you, I STILL have not gotten out there. We went down to the inlaws in North Central MA. today, and you can see yards and grass and stuff, but when we got home... still buried in the white stuff! Totally sapping my ambition! Des, glad to hear from ya. Happy Easter. Good that your not smoking. Keep it up. Andy

My legs are killing me

Hey Andy!!!! I know the snow does suck and winter is getting long but come on bro get back out here and run!! I still have to catch up to you and do a 1/2 which I'm doing in a couple of weeks. Before you know it, we'll be complaining how hot it is Big grin

Gotta TRI

I know, I know. 47 days til my next half. Shocked Just checked. Probably won't fair much better than my first one. Undecided I'll get out there. ( Thanks for the prodding though... keep it up! ) Andy
                            obiebyke

Des, nice going. Big smiles from me. And Sully, don't do that! My heart fell for a second. Don't play with my emotions like that! I'm a delicate flower! Tongue Oh. Nice job on the PR. Big grin

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)