Ex-smokers support

A shout out to new and returning members (Read 453 times)

Gotta TRI

Hey All, I'd just like to say hello to new and returning members. There are many of us here who have battled the demons of smoking. Some have won, some have lost, and many are still trying. As a collective we have tried every form of cessation including: patches, gums, needles, hypnotism, pills, ointments and voo-doo. The biggest and most important thing we offer here is simple understanding. We know how hard it is to beat this addiction, and want to help. Please give a shout if you are trying to quit smoking and want a helping hand. Andy
    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

Gotta TRI

Hey Gang! I just checked, and we currently have 39 members in this site! That's 39 people that have quit, are trying to quit, or are very seriously thinking about quitting smoking. That's 39 people that know what you are going through and can offer support,advice, or at the very least an ear to listen with or a shoulder to lean on. Quitting smoking is not an easy thing to do, and there is no need to go it alone. The site's a bit slow right now, but constantly monitored so if you post you will get a reply. Hope all is well with all of you. Take care, Andy

My legs are killing me

Hey Andy, How's it going? I kind of jumped into your world and did a duathlon last weekend. I learned a very important lesson. Having good biking equipment is a fine thing in a race. For this race I needed a mountain bike because some of the course was off road so I borrowed my son's bike that I bought for him when he was 12. It was a little on the small side and when I hit the biking portion of the race EVERYONE was passing me. Men, women. Old men, Old women. I was peddelling my ass off and going no where. lol I did great on the running part and I couldn't wait to get off that damn bike but it was emotionally draining getting passed by so many people and my ass hurt for a week from the seat. lol I know your events are going better than that and it was a fun change of pace but I think I'll keep the sneakers on and keep running. Hope all is well.

Gotta TRI

LOL Big grin Fun isn't it? Yeah, having the right equipment.....priceless! I don't know about my events this year. I'm so far behind in my training. Been busy, left the town job in Dec. ( no more shovelling! ) and started Real Estate in March. (century 21 ). There is so much to learn! First event is coming up, 1/2 mary in May. Glad the nice weather is finally here. Good to hear from you again, how's things? Andy
            Awesome group, I'm glad I stumbled on your community. I haven't had the will power to quit yet but I know that is the next step I need to take. So this is my current predicament, I've been running consistently for the last 3 months but smoking about 5 to 10 a day. A few friends told me horror stories of trying to quit smoking and start running at the same time, but both got sick, one with an infection in his lungs. I'm afraid of quitting, getting sick, and having to stop running. Has anyone had this problem or am I just making excuses to continue my bad habit? I feel like a smack addict with my crappy excuses.

My legs are killing me

Welcome to the group! Not to be blunt but your making excuses. If fact you are really going to be surpised how well your able to run once you do quit. There is a big difference in endurance. Those last few are the toughest to quit but your making a good decision by running. Good luck.

Gotta TRI

I would have to agree with Sully on this one. I see by your log that you certainly are putting in some miles, imagine how things might improve if you quit smoking all together. How are you feeling after these runs now? Kudos for starting the process, that's a great first step. Keep this up and you will be an Ex-Smoker too.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I agree with the guys above your making excuses! I've been MIA for a while (personal problems that took me away from running) but I'm back and determined so we'll all be here to help and support you! YOU CAN DO IT!
                  -Jen
                  2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

hey funk, when i started running i made no effort to quit smoking, didnt really want to and i felt fine running a 7:30 pace. i quit in november and have already cut out 30 seconds. im really looking forward to improving more and logging plenty of sub 7 miles over the summer.

quitting sucks. let me throw out some tips that helped me. first off, be broke. it has never been a problem for me to quit for a few days or a week as long as i knew i couldnt afford it. convince yourself that it wont fit your budget. ten cigs a day, thats about $20 a week, $100 a month. sponsor some kids or take up an expensive hobby instead.

yo might hate me for this one but i quit drinking altogether to help the cause. if youre like every other smoker on the planet you know damn well that its painful to go through a six pack without a handful of smokes. quitting drinking isnt that bad either, even my friends were cool with it and you can always go back to it once youre in the clear, thats what i did.

the last thing i did was not talk about it. every other time i tried quitting i made a big deal about it hoping that people would support me, bullshit. talking about it made me think about it and that made me do it. you might have to be a bum and distance yourself for a weeks if you hang around people that smoke but they will understand.

hope this helps someone!