Improving Your 5K

I suprised myself last night (Read 476 times)

OK. I'm pretty slow compared to most of you. I am still over 200 pounds, I still only run ~35 miles a week, and I'm 40 next month. So I considered my 22:33 back in March to be ok as I was comming off 10 days of the flu. I thought to myself that 22:00 was possible in May when I got healthy. Now after last night I think 21:00 is possible (see below). I started feeling good about running a week or two ago and I joined an "intermediate" running group meeting once a week. Last week at the track we did 1-mile intervals with about 3-1/2 minutes rest between miles. I was happy with myself as all 3 of mine were under 6:50 and 2 of them were under 6:45. I didn't know I could do that. In my next race (2-1/2 weeks away) I was planning a 7:10 first mile but now I am thinking that is too slow. I believe based on that workout I should plan more like 6:50. I know the track is not the same as a somewhat hilly course but given the relatively short rest period I think the workout was at 5k pace. I was tired, pretty exhausted, but I felt I could do one more 7:00 mile if I had to. And I never felt the same dying sensation of a hard 5k. So I don't think I over did it. I think next week we have 800's at the track. I'm going to work on zeroing in on what my 5k pace should be. Any tips on how to do that are appreciated.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Somewhere I read try 3x1600 with 1min rest, to test a 5k pace. But I've not had the courage to try it myself Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MrH

Alisa Harvey (Masters Womens world mile record holder) talked about her track intervals in improving her 5k time here: http://www.runwashington.com/archive0209/features/trainmilerpt07.html That suggests off shorter recoveries your interval pace is perhaps your 5k mile split plus 10 seconds. Maybe use that as a target level of effort and take it from there.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.