Improving Your 5K

Sub 19 5K Goal (Read 955 times)

Hey all I am new to this group as well. I've been running for almost five years now and have been improving steadily. I think one of my problems with getting that sub 19 is that I have the marathon bug and have been running three a year for the last four years. After I run Boston this year I will concentrate more heavily on the 5 & 10K distances (also trying to get that sub 40 10K). I set my 5K PR last August at 19:25 (6:15) and ran two 19:43s within a week of each other last May. I am just coming off a pretty rough February / March where I had been pretty sick and struggled to get rid of that deep chest cough etc. Races this year: Ran the Derry 16 miler Jan 27th in 4 inches of snow - 2:06:08 - 7:53 Ran the Mid-Winter 10 Miler Feb 3rd - 1:09:46 - 6:59 Ran the Half at the Hamptons 1/2 Marathon Feb 10th - 1:34:43 - (7:14) Ran the Kerrymen's Pub 5K on March 16th - 20:39 - 6:39 (probably shouldn't have run this one) I ended up taking a full week off in March, and was just getting back when I ran that 5K. Looking back it probably would have been much more prudent to pass on that one and continue to get better. I think I have finally recovered fully and ran the Eastern States 20 Miler as a prep run for Boston - goal was to run it at or about goal race pace - 7:38 - I had a great run and completed this one in 2:29:03 - (7:28) and felt quite strong the whole way as my running buddy and I ran together the whole race and were able to talk and enjoy the views! Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - my running group will be concentrating on some regular speed work on Saturdays when we meet (which is every weekend through out the year regardless of weather).
      I like your name Wink Big grin I could learn from you, but I thought this post had some great information: http://www.therunzone.com/VB/archive/index.php?t-420.html
        Thanks for the link "Mainerunner2001" and I like your name as well. I see that we have run at least some races together maybe we'll see each other at a local event this year. Any chance your might be doing the Hot Pursuit 5K in Brunswick on May 4th or the Portland Seadogs 5K on Mothers Day? I'll be at both of those. Hoping to at least get back under 20 for the start of the season.
          I plan to be at the Hot Pursuit 5K in Brunswick. I hope to see you there. I am not going to be able to get to the Seadogs 5K. If interested, and if you have time, check out this group, Maine Running Group Most in there are from your area. I am a little farther north.
            Well just a week out from running the Boston Marathon and after that I'll be putting more speed work in and concentrating more on the shorter distances...at least for a few months anyways! I'll be doing the following races in May and hope to improve my times from last year: May 4th - Hot Pursuit 5K - Brunswick - last year - 19:43 - 6:21 pace May 11th - Sea Dogs 5K - Portland - last year - 19:43 - 6:21 pace May 18th - Sugraloaf 15K - Eustis - last year - 1:03:39 - 6:48 pace May 25th - Boston's Run to Remember 5 Miler - last year - 32:50 - 6:34 pace I know I've sacrificed some faster times by running the Boston Marathon just two weeks before the 1st in this series of races but I still can't resist the pull of running Boston...hopefully I can get my 5K time back down below 20:00 and go from there this year with an ultimate goal of sub 19..who knows...maybe! Wink

Right on Hereford...

I would like to join this goal as well. I used to post over at coolrunning but it just seems like that forum is dead now! Dead I broke 20 for the 5k last year for the first time, so this year I want to break 19. I've been running 4 days a week, averaging 25-30 miles, with one long run of 9-11 miles and one tempo run of about 3 miles each week. I feel like my fitness has been improving steadily on this schedule, and I think it's mostly because of the consistent tempo runs over the last 18-20 weeks. Last week (4/6) I had my first race of the year, a half marathon. Had no idea what to expect, but I surprised myself by barely breaking 90 minutes. Then this past Saturday I did my first 5k and ran 19:02! So I guess I'm pretty close now. I'd love to hear what others are doing for training, and what's working for you. I've got my next 5k this Sunday, so we'll see how that goes. I don't know if my last one was a fluke, or what!
                Then this past Saturday I did my first 5k and ran 19:02! So I guess I'm pretty close now.
                Close...that's an understatement...you'll nail it quite soon I am sure. Quick question..I seem to remember you over at Cool Running ... did you run the LLBean 10K in Freeport, ME last year?

Right on Hereford...

Close...that's an understatement...you'll nail it quite soon I am sure. Quick question..I seem to remember you over at Cool Running ... did you run the LLBean 10K in Freeport, ME last year?
                  Thanks, yes I used to post on Cool Running, and yes I did the LL Bean 10k last year! I remember finding out after the race that you were there, too. And didn't you send me a photo from the start that coincidentally had me in it? Too funny...
                    Thanks, yes I used to post on Cool Running, and yes I did the LL Bean 10k last year! I remember finding out after the race that you were there, too. And didn't you send me a photo from the start that coincidentally had me in it? Too funny...
                    Yes, that confirms for me that you are who I thought you were. I see that you are still running well, keep it up! Hey remember that black eye and cut I got after getting tripped up last year at LL Bean? Black eye Hopefully this year I'll fair a bit better!

Right on Hereford...

Hey remember that black eye and cut I got after getting tripped up last year at LL Bean? Black eye
                      Absolutely! You were a champ just to finish that race, and if I recall correctly, you turned in a surprisingly fast time, even with the fall. Update on my training... I've been doing one 5k tempo run per week since late December. I feel this has been my #1 key workout. At first I was just doing them on the Boulder Creek Path, which does have measured miles, but for the past month I've switched to the track for better pacing control. I started at 21 minute 5k tempo runs on the track last month, and the times have been gradually dropping. Yesterday I ran 20:35 and felt nice and controlled the whole way. Looking back one year ago, I ran 21:08 in a race (albeit, very windy conditions), so I'm very happy that my tempo pace is now faster than race pace a year ago. Mainerunnah, what would you consider to be your key workout, and how has it been going lately?

Right on Hereford...

Bob, how was Boston? Results don't seem available on the website yet. I ran another 5k yesterday. This one didn't go as well as my last one. Splits: Mile 1 - 6:06.2 Mile 2 - 6:06.5 Mile 3 - 6:46.2 Last 0.1 - 0:40.4 (6:18 pace) Finish: 19:40 I think I was working way too hard on the first couple of miles with a strong headwind. The wind picked up even more by the last mile and I slowed to a crawl. I had a side cramp and just felt awful! In my 5k race the week before, I was out-kicked by the first place female, a girl named Emma. She was there at yesterday's race again. I stayed right with her through 2 miles, but then she opened a sizeable gap and beat me by 19 seconds. She was slower yesterday than the week prior, too, so I think the wind made it a slower course in general. My problem was that I tried to run it at a 19-minute pace in those conditions, which for me meant I was running too fast for the first couple of miles. I will have to try again in a couple of weeks!
                        RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I had a recent 5k race with similar windy conditions. I was shooting for 19mins as part of my 10k training. Hit 2 miles in 12:07 in pretty good shape then the last mile was into a very strong wind. I crashed and burned. Finishing in 19:22. One of those days... first two females passed me at the end. Two weeks later I ran an 8k PR at 6:06mpm average pace... I have two sub 19s from Fall 2007. Now, I'm hoping for 18:30s the next two weekend... Pray for me... Clowning around

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."