Improving Your 5K

Target 5K coming up this weekend (Read 496 times)

jeffdonahue

I have not run a 5K since July of last year where I broke 20 minutes (finally) and PRed with a 19:50.  AFter that, last year I was in marathon training mode and didnt do any more 5Ks,  and just havent had the opportunity yet this year to run any.

But since that time I have run over 2,000 miles, and have put in two to three speed sessions per week over the past six weeks to get ready.  I have no idea what pace I will run this at - just going to go out and see what my legs can do.

I did run a 4 miler earlier this year on a ridiculously hilly course (1st 3/4 mile were all up hill, and last 3/4 of a mile were all up hill) and had a 6:27 pace.  Given how much I know I slowed on that last 3/4 of a mile I think I probably had a decent 5K time in there.

The course this weekend is flat and fast.  I have PRed on this course a bunch of times so I am hoping to really crank this one out.  One more speed session tomorrow and then some easy running with some strides on Saturday to get the legs ready.

Sounds like you are set up for a nice race. The only concern I would have is going out too fast. Have you thought about the time you will be shooting for?
      jeffdonahue

Sounds like you are set up for a nice race. The only concern I would have is going out too fast. Have you thought about the time you will be shooting for?

I would like to get close to 19 minutes (6:08 pace).

As for going out too fast, that can be a concern.  I dont have any way to judge my pace though (no garmin and I dont use my Nike+ during races).  I really suck at being able to tell how fast I am running at faster speeds.  I can usually pinpoint my speed when I am running my easy runs, but when I do tempos I cant usually gauge it too well.

My basic plan is the same one I always use.

Go out fast for first 100 meters or so to get past the kids and slower people that line up at the front, then ease into what I can only describe as uncomfortably relaxed, where the pace is just a bit uncomfortable but I can still maintain a relaxed stride.  Hold that through the first two miles and then pick it up for last mile.  When I see the finish line, all out sprint to the finish.

This race should be good though because there are usually a lot of people so lots to pace off of and try to pick off during the race.  I expect I will come in somewhere around 25th-30th place so there should be a good number of people ahead of me for the whole race.

Prince of Fatness

Good luck Jeff.  I think you have a good shot at 19 minutes.  As for pacing, it may take more than one race to figure that out.  That's definitely the case with me.  You might want to use this last speed session to try to dial into that 6:08 pace.  That would at least give you an idea of what that pace feels like.

Not at it at all.