Improving Your 5K

Looking to crack 20 minute 5km after a marathon. Advice Please (Read 550 times)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Guys I have a my first marathon in less than 3 weeks.  After that i really want to focus on dropping below 20 minutes for 5km

I race (or jog) a regular organised and measured road course every Monday night.

Any advice on coming off a marathon and using the base I have created over the last 5 months, tuning up some speed and knocking off 20 minutes?

My current PB is 20:21, best this year is 20:37

Thanks!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Vino, I wouldn't be surprised if you could knock it out immediately just based on what you've done these past few months - you certainly have a more than decent aerobic base. I know you just did a 21min 5k, but really that was on the heels of a lot of miles in the days immediately preceding. So, it's probably right there without too much more to do, but to really knock it out, some sharpening is in order (since like 95% of your runs are "easy" at this point).

I would keep doing what you're doing, but work in 2 harder days - either a tempo run (a few harder miles) or some intervals (either structured like 6x800 or 'informal' like surging for 2 or 3 minutes a few times inside a longer run. And since you'll be dialing up the intensity, you could consider backing off a little on the longer runs (but you don't necessarily have to - would feel that one out).

I really don't think it'll be a long journey to sub 20 for you.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      ERG

I would first make sure that you spend a lot of good time recovering.

Make sure there is no soreness left over from your marathon before starting in with speed.

I would begin by adding in some strides in 2 or 3 runs out of 7- about 30 seconds at mile race pace with up to 2 minutes recovery between.

After a few weeks of that, concentrate on  VO2 max at 3k-5k pace, or 95-100% of your max HR, once a week, or 10% of your training volume split into a few days. These should have recoveries of about 50% of the time spent in the interval.

Give yourself a good tempo run every other week- less than 10% of your volume, or use a 5-10k race as a substitute.

Cut back your miles a bit, especially in the last week before your race.

Have fun & best wishes!

Hi Vino I live down in Papamoa Smile

When Im 5km training I do 6 x 1000m intervals once a week at 5km race pace with 2 min jogging rests. They are hard but replicate the toughness of a 5km race and give you an accurate idea of your fitness. I do the thursday night 5km race down here but only every couple of months to give myself time to improve.

I think 50 mpw is a good allround mileage for 5km racing.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

ikez78

Coach Mark

With all of those base miles you are in a great position to run an awesome 5k.

I've teamed up with some great RRCA and USATF coaches to actually create "The Ultimate 5k Plan for Breaking 20 Minutes" based on my own 3-year battle to get there (after overcoming asthma and being very overweight).

Please let me know what you think but the key is going to be consistent mileage and training and doing a number of workouts at GOAL 5k pace so for you mid 6:20s per mile.

Guys I have a my first marathon in less than 3 weeks.  After that i really want to focus on dropping below 20 minutes for 5km

I race (or jog) a regular organised and measured road course every Monday night.

Any advice on coming off a marathon and using the base I have created over the last 5 months, tuning up some speed and knocking off 20 minutes?

My current PB is 20:21, best this year is 20:37

Thanks!

Runner, Teacher and USATF Coach blogging at TeachtoRun.com.

Also working with RRCA and USATF coaches on creating "The Ultimate 5k Plan" at HowToRun5k.com