Improving Your 5K

Interesting/useful posts about 5k/10k training (Read 1026 times)

evtish

Great post!! Looks like the message is I need to crank up my mileage significantly to get faster times. I'm thinking about 35-42 miles. 7miles/day average x 5-6 days. Tinman said "As a high schooler, I ran plenty of doubles to keep my mileage up. I litterally went from 18:00 to near 16:00 in 2 months when I doubled 4-5 days a week. It makes a big difference!" 18 to 16 in 2 months...that's the type of improvement timeframe I want!!
      I thought Tinman's suggestion about weekly mileage was interesting:
      ... the following mileage is appropriate for summer training (not, if you are older, then you must do age-graded adjutstment to your time): ------------------------------------ 3k time: 12 minutes = 30 miles per week 10 minutes = 60 miles per week 8 minutes = 90 miles per week
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've read some of Tinmans's stuff before. He seems pretty sharp. I wish he would post an online version of his calculator that he says he's working on. I'm very curious about it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Slow-smooth-fast

I thought Tinman's suggestion about weekly mileage was interesting:
          THIS WORKS FOR ME. I WAS DOING 60 MPW AND PLUGGING MY 5K TIME IN FROM THAT PERIOD, IT GIVES ME A 3000M TIME OF 10:52, SO IT IS PRETTY GOOD.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

jeffdonahue

Great post!! Looks like the message is I need to crank up my mileage significantly to get faster times. I'm thinking about 35-42 miles. 7miles/day average x 5-6 days. Tinman said "As a high schooler, I ran plenty of doubles to keep my mileage up. I litterally went from 18:00 to near 16:00 in 2 months when I doubled 4-5 days a week. It makes a big difference!" 18 to 16 in 2 months...that's the type of improvement timeframe I want!!
            So what do you think a REALISTIC timeframe is for improvement. According to the Tinman mileage chart 60 miles a week should bring you to around a 17min (give or take) 5K. But how long would you need to keep up the 60 miles per week to reach that time do you think? He says he dropped two minutes in two months, but that seems kind of fast to me. Though I must admit that I did follow a training plan that I received from a running clinic I went to - not high mileage but every run was some sort of interval or tempo run, running four tiems a week. In 8 weeks I dropped a minute (from 23:30-22:00), but I think that was mainly because I tended to be a more consistent runner following the schedule. So how long do you think it would take?