Improving Your 5K

Getting the conversation started - what's your 5K goals in 2015 (Read 44 times)

This group ought to be way more active than this.  Is everybody only interested in half-marathon or marathon these day and age?

I will start, I resumed running just last month.  Will probably do a 5K this weekend for my re-couch-to-5k.  Hope to run in 26:00.  2015 aiming to improve my 5K time all the way to close to 20:00, or if lucky go sub 20:00.

Still crickets. 

My last 5k went pretty well.  The only pity was it's distance was short.  I suspect it to be 3 miles actually.

My time was 23:36 (3 miles).  Equivalent to a 24:40 5k.  Ahead of my 26:00 goal, so I am quite glad.

Increasing weekly mileage slowly.

I love the 5k, it's actually my favorite distance. This year I hope to break 23 minutes. I'm changing up my training strategy a lot, so I hope it helps

-Pain is temporary, internet results last forever!

http://www.runderfulmama.com

Soleful, I am sure you can break 23 minutes in 2015.  I would hope to break 23 minutes soon too myself.

I love the 5k, it's actually my favorite distance. This year I hope to break 23 minutes. I'm changing up my training strategy a lot, so I hope it helps

Just a dude.

I just found this group. So I'll jump in.

I'm hoping to get under 18 this year. I'd like to make it under 17 but that might be too much.

I really need to improve my general fitness. I keep running into things where my knee hurts for a week, or my hamstring is bugging me, or my groin is sore. Etc, etc. I think I just need better general overall fitness, so I'm trying to work on that while trying to lose a few pounds and get in shape.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

KellyDodge, you are one fast dude!  Sub 17 would put you in age-graded national class, that's something.

Seeing this group is almost dead and the group owner never show up, maybe we can start a new group so we all can take care of things better if we want to...

I just found this group. So I'll jump in.

I'm hoping to get under 18 this year. I'd like to make it under 17 but that might be too much.

I really need to improve my general fitness. I keep running into things where my knee hurts for a week, or my hamstring is bugging me, or my groin is sore. Etc, etc. I think I just need better general overall fitness, so I'm trying to work on that while trying to lose a few pounds and get in shape.

-Kelly

Just a dude.

KellyDodge, you are one fast dude!  Sub 17 would put you in age-graded national class, that's something.

Seeing this group is almost dead and the group owner never show up, maybe we can start a new group so we all can take care of things better if we want to...

I don't see sub 17 as that fast. I was sub 15 in college... /shrug

As for the health of the group, just keep posting and see if more people show up. You could message the owner and see if they will transfer it to you... If they haven't even logged into RA in a long time, ask Eric...

Activity breeds interest. Interest breeds activity... Wink

-Kelly

Sub 15:00 in college is 86% world record which is higher than 17:00 for you in age graded class according to:

http://www.usatf.org/statistics/calculators/agegrading/

So you were national class already in college, that is very cool.

Regarding the group, my thoughts were:

* the owner of this group haven't show up since 2007, probably not likely to check his/her message.  But I will give it a try.

* aother group for 10k I am in is also pretty dead, I think a new group combining 5k/10k would be great, could also cater to 1500m and 1 mile etc distances.

* a brand new group attract interests like no other.

I don't see sub 17 as that fast. I was sub 15 in college... /shrug

As for the health of the group, just keep posting and see if more people show up. You could message the owner and see if they will transfer it to you... If they haven't even logged into RA in a long time, ask Eric...

Activity breeds interest. Interest breeds activity... Wink

-Kelly

Just a dude.

Sub 15:00 in college is 86% world record which is higher than 17:00 for you in age graded class according to:

http://www.usatf.org/statistics/calculators/agegrading/

So you were national class already in college, that is very cool.

Regarding the group, my thoughts were:

* the owner of this group haven't show up since 2007, probably not likely to check his/her message.  But I will give it a try.

* aother group for 10k I am in is also pretty dead, I think a new group combining 5k/10k would be great, could also cater to 1500m and 1 mile etc distances.

* a brand new group attract interests like no other.

Actually, my best mark was the 3:52 1500 @ 21. That is just below 90%.

I'm up for whatever on the group. Like I said, a message to Eric could get the ownership moved to you perhaps.

-Kelly

KellyDodge, that was very impressive.  Given the world record at the time was about 3:28-3:29.

You are the most advanced athlete I have personally seen on this site.

For the group, I don't believe in taking away other's ownership by force, so after not getting response from the owner, I started this group:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/10k_5k_mid_distance/forum

It is also a public group, you all are welcome to join and hopefully it will get more traffic by the virtue of being a new group.

Also it starts with 10 so it show up in the first page of training groups

aquilam

First time post....

I started running consistently back in July of 2015.  Prior to that I ran on off in my life.  I decided to get back into running to improve my health and "move on with my life".  I am sure a few can relate.  I'm 46 yo dude.

Fast forward to May 2016.  My first 5k ever 26:13.

Fast forward to January 2017, I ran a 24:24 5k my best to date.

I find i am struggling to surpass that time.  Since January i have had 2 5ks and have come within 10 seconds of beating that 24:24 time.

My next race is end of this May.  My goal is to beat that 24:24....I am hoping to achieve 24:00 by the end of this year...but for may id love to be in the 24:10/15 range.

My avg monthly mileage varies 40-50 miles.  I have compteted in about 7 5ks, 2 10ks, and 2 11 mile runs.