Improving Your 5K

Training Firsts (Read 718 times)

I am happy to say that I have reached a few training firsts over the last couple of weeks. - First time running 40+ MPW for 2 consecutive weeks - Most miles in one week: 42 - 6 Mile PR set during a tempo run; My longest race effort until this point has been 4 miles. I ran the 4 miles back in February of this year at 6:45/Mile. This 6 Mile tempo run was in 6:49/Mile and felt hard but comfortable. Although I am in a base building phase, I am anxious to see what 5K performance I will have this coming weekend. I am hoping that the added miles will pay off. I can say that I do feel alot stronger.

Ryan

Awesome. I got a couple firsts in myself: First long run over 30km First time going under 18 for 5k at tempo effort (the first 5K of that tempo were a bit downhill, to be fair) 3 of last 4 weeks are in my best 4 for the past year for milage. I'm starting to get there.
        So much for all my training bliss. I pretty much tanked in the race today. I ended up finishing in 20:47, which is a minute and 15 seconds slower than the race I ran three weeks ago (19:30). There was nothing special about the course, some small hills, but I will mention that there was some strong winds today. I went out too fast in the first mile at 6:04 and then slowed to 6:35 for the 2nd mile. I had to walk several times to get through the last mile. Honestly, at about a mile and a half, I felt like calling it quits and going home. In that regards, I am happy that I finished the race at all. I did feel a little sluggish even during the warmup run this morning though. Also, I kind of struggled through a tempo run on Thursday that I thought would be comfortably hard. Does anyone have any tips here? I thought that with all the work I was putting in that I would expect to run a better race. At least close to the time I ran 3 weeks ago. Am I overtraining? Am I running my easy runs too fast (I noticed I am getting quicker than the time from Mcmillan calculator based on my 19:30 effort)? Is this because I am in a base building phase of training? Did I just go out too fast? Any other thoughts?

Ryan

Pammie

Do you train with a HRM? I find they are a reliable source whether you are too fast for your easy runs. Calculators are just a general guide I use Daniels Vdot calculator i'm supposed to be doing 10:50 miles for easy runs but because i have improved my aerobic base so much it is nearer 10 minute miles and on good days 9:30 miles As for your race time don't dwell on it its just one race you can't keep improving race on race sometimes you take a step back before advancing again, if the course profile and conditions were similar other things could contribute, any stresses, diet, could be anything. You mention strong winds they do have effect i did monthly 5kms with those winds from Nov-March they are horrible. Just keep training be consistant, and it will happen
            a hard tempo run 2 days before a key race is probably not a good idea?
              I'd say it was mostly the first mile too fast. In a 5K, you pretty much can't recover from it if it's really too fast for your fitness.
                I'd say it was mostly the first mile too fast. In a 5K, you pretty much can't recover from it if it's really too fast for your fitness.
                Thanks for the advice. Based on my last run, I probably should have went out in about 6:20 at the fastest but instead I came through at 6:04. I guess I got caught up in the excitement of the race. I remember looking at my watch about a half mile in and noticing that I was running at 5:50/mile pace. I tried to slow up but I think the damage may have been done at that point. Most of my previous running experience was in 800m and 1600m which I could pretty much guts out even if I went a little too fast. The 5K is a little more unforgiving because I lost my mental drive when I was getting very tired at the halfway point. Even though I tried to slow, it gave little relief.

Ryan

evtish

I feel your pain. I did the same thing last race, went out too fast at 6:07 for the first mile. At the halfway point I was feeling it and the third mile was the most pain I've felt in a long time, but I somehow managed to keep running. Dead I'm the king of negative splits. Smile I know you're supposed to run even splits, but it's so hard not to start off fast....and I'm wearing a Garmin so I don't even have the "I don't know my pace" excuse. Next race I'm going to try to run a little slower first mile and see how it goes. Good luck! Tom

Slow-smooth-fast

I am so with you guys too. I did a x country 5k, and went out in the first mile in sub 6 pace, Felt so easy. SLowed it down and completed mile 1 in 6:09, but it was too late, the damage was done, as I suffered over the hard terrain to come. Consequently completed mile 2 in 6:30 and 3 in 7:02. THe good thing about it is that it will be on again for the next 2 months, so I am going to go out with a better strategy next time. First mile will be in 6:30 and then hopefully I should be able to hold on to the pace for the rest of the race.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I think you answered your own question.....you started out too fast. Try to have your first mile be your slowest and your last mile your fastest Smile It 's tough to hold back on the first mile....but my goal is to hold my place/pace for first mile and then pick people off one at a time....not letting anyone pass me.
                      Personal Records 5K - 21:35

Slow-smooth-fast

I think you answered your own question.....you started out too fast. Try to have your first mile be your slowest and your last mile your fastest Smile It 's tough to hold back on the first mile....but my goal is to hold my place/pace for first mile and then pick people off one at a time....not letting anyone pass me.
                        I know this is the theory, and I strongly advocate this approach. I used it in my previous 4 mile race, and was very happy with the splits: 6:23, 6:13, 6:05, 6:07 Yet for the last 5k I just wanted to try the going out faster approach, and I can say I will never be doing it again!!

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Yet for the last 5k I just wanted to try the going out faster approach, and I can say I will never be doing it again!!
                          Second that! Big grin

Ryan

I have a 2 Mile race coming up this weekend. I would like to break the 11:59 mark that I set last year on the same course. I feel like I am in better shape this year and I have put alot more miles in. Any suggestions on first mile split (or even half mile splits)?

Ryan

Slow-smooth-fast

As for me, I know that with the euphoria of a race I can go out on the first mile in a comfortable 5:45 pace. Then as a consequence of that fast pace, the 2nd will almost certainly suffer. I would go out therefore at around 5:55, and then have 9 seconds or so to play with to go sub 12. Let us know how you get on. What I would advise is a really good warm up so that your HR is elevated at the start. Going from zero to sub 6 pace is not always too easy