Improving Your 5K

post your interval workouts (Read 331 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I believe that a great impact on my improved speed lately is the Interval sessions that I do at the local track. Be interesting to post your interval sessions and paces etc. Also include your tempo workouts. Tues 15th Jan 2008 800 Repeats - 8 x 800s with 1 minute recovery. I averaged over the 800s 2:53 - 5:46 mile pace. Wed 16th Jan 2008 - 5K TT: 18:57 - 6:06 mile pace. Thurs 17th Jan 2008 Tempo Mile Reps - One mile at a fast pace, with 2 minute rest - early full recovery x 5 I did them all round 6:27 pace, though the last one I did in 5:55 Tues 29th Jan 2008 2:30 reverse - run out for 2:30 and on the whistle run back-this is all about pacing yourself so you dont go out too fast, but likewise you want to be crossing the line back when he is counting down to end the 3 minutes interval. 1 minute rest in between x 6. 1:5:49pace 2:5:33pace 3:5:43pace 4:5:45pace 5:5:38pace 6:5:22pace maximum pace was 3:58 m/mile This averags out at 0.87miles per interval. Looking at the Mcmillan calculator as I go, I like to see what kind of training zone I fall into. I was initially going off a 10k time of 40mins, and I was pretty much similar to the recommended paces for it. Now, after last nights session I have looked at the Mcmillan calc and put in my recent 5k time, and I am quicker than the results of that, so gettig faster indeed.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Well - Maine's winter has kept me from doing quality workouts. The track is snow covered. I've been using a Garmin to run 2 X 1K @ 4:15 with 1 minute recovery followed by 2 X 200M @ :44 with 30 to 60 second recovery. I want to build up to 5 X 1K @ 4:15 with 1 minute recovery followed by 4 X 200M @ :44 with 30 to 60 second recovery before April 5K. It's no fun doing them in the dark on slippery roads though. Tempos are at the last two miles of a 12 mile long run. I get my heart rate up to 165 - I think 88% of mhr. I have only been getting 7:40 to 8:00 pace, but in better conditions (warmer temps, no snow/ice) I am usually 7:00 to 7:30 pace. I want to build up to three or four miles at that heart rate before April.

Just Be

I'm restraining from any true interval work until May, but in the mean time my tempo runs have been random fartlek (nothing structured yet) thrown into my daily base building runs. Generally I'll hit speeds of 12 to 13 mph for 2 to 3 minutes 2 to 8 times in a 1 hour run when I'm in the mood for running quick. One of my log entries in December '07 shows a speed of 15.4, I guess that was the fastest I ran since I've started again. I remember that run well. In my neighborhood there's a hill in the loop about 100 meters in length and inclined at an 8% to 12% grade. I ran up it hard, but it wasn't an all out sprint. Fun times. Counting down the days to May when I can do speedwork. I'm jealous of you!
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I believe that a great impact on my improved speed lately is the Interval sessions that I do at the local track. Be interesting to post your interval sessions and paces etc. Also include your tempo workouts.
          Your workouts look great. One question, though. When are you trying to peak? That is, when is your goal race? Just want to make sure you don't burn out. Intervals can't be sustained for too long in your schedule without detrimental effects. Just wonderin'

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Slow-smooth-fast

Your workouts look great. One question, though. When are you trying to peak? That is, when is your goal race? Just want to make sure you don't burn out. Intervals can't be sustained for too long in your schedule without detrimental effects. Just wonderin'
            I am wanting to peak in 4 weeks time, that is when my 10k race is. I plan to do it, and then I will reassess from there. I dont know if at this stage I should go back to base building again. What do you think? Would I not be ok continuing with intervals even after my peak? I mean to say, my brother, amongst others at the running track do intervals every Tues, every wk of the year, and they are ok?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I am wanting to peak in 4 weeks time, that is when my 10k race is. I plan to do it, and then I will reassess from there. I dont know if at this stage I should go back to base building again. What do you think? Would I not be ok continuing with intervals even after my peak? I mean to say, my brother, amongst others at the running track do intervals every Tues, every wk of the year, and they are ok?
              Oh, I think you're fine then. I was worried you might be trying to peak for a June race or something, in which case you might burn out before you ever get there. I love intervals (you can see one of my favorite interval workouts on this thread), and plan on starting them up in about 8 weeks as I gear up for a 10k that's currently 16 weeks away. The thing is that you can burn out on them, so just keep listening to your body. If you do that, you'll know when the right time is ease up and get back to base miles.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Some good 5k workouts: •3x(600m-1000m) with 4 minute recoveries. It's a continuous 1600m run. Blast the first 600m, then slowdown and run the last 1000m at current 5k pace. The fast 600m at the beginning will make the parts at 5k pace seem easy. •3x1600m / 1min rest •6x800 / 30sec rest •12x400 / 15 sec rest For each of the above three, run at the fastest pace that you can sustain for the duration of the workout. •20 min hard tempo run at 10k pace (about 16sec/mile slower than current 5k pace) •4x1200m with 3~4 min recovery. Run laps 1 and 3 at current 5k pace, run lap 2 faster Of course, remember that speedwork is the icing on the cake. The cake is a solid aerobic base of easy miles. Don't try adding the icing until you've got the cake.

Ran some easy-ish intervals today. Didn't want to go too hard because my calves and ankles have been a little sore lately. Did 6x800 with 200m recovery, on a crappy 200m indoor track with sharp turns and other people walking on it. Time Pace Avg HR 3:51 7:45 182 3:43 7:29 3:49 7:41 189 3:44 7:31 189 3:38 7:19 189 3:24 6:51 194 Max HR 215