Improving Your 5K

5k PB (Read 623 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Thought I would post this here as I PB'd in 5k too: 18:49! After a lot of persuasion from friends, I decided to do the local 4miler, done it a few times before, though didn't feel especially good beforehand. Niggling achilles and a little tired. It didn't help that we arrived and registered with 5 minutes to spare before the start of the race. No time for a warm up! Anyway, I have done this race 3 times before, and my last time I did it, 2 months ago, I was flying and did it in 24:56. I was going for 26 this time. Mile 1: Felt ok, though not as good as the last time, kind of got dragged along at a pace that felt comfortable though, I thought may make my following miles a little more testing. Mile 1 was completed in 6:13. Mile 2: Still felt relatively fresh and settled in behind a guy who seemed quite strong. I finally got level with him and said to him, "come on ,lets help eachother up this hill." I remember that at this moment it seemed to come a little personal battle, the pace increased, and we soon mounted the hill. I then took on the pace and overtook him, (vest, 18), and that was the last I saw of him: see pic below, (me in 331). Mile 2: 6:08. Mile 3: Now I began to feel the pain, and I rmeember hearing people from the side of the road, shouting to other runners, to "dig in". I took this advice, and worked hard to sustain this pace, as I thought that if I could I would be on for a PB. Mile 3 was hard but good for me psychologically, as I remember overtaking a lot of people, some of whom I have never quite beat. Mile 3 was completed in 6:08. Mile 4: I knew now that it had all boiled down to this last mile, and I really wanted to be able to sustain my current pace, and end up with a great time. I really dug in and tried to up the pace, I dont know how but I pulle dit off, and completed the last mile in 5:56. I cant believe I was able to go sub 6. Below is a pic of me finishing, and I must mention I felt like I was about to die! I worked extremely hard for this finish, and finished in 24:24. 6:06 pace, I was thrilled to bits, comments please are very welcome.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Nice job. I am impressed you were able to run so hard after only having 5 minutes to get to the start after registering. That would throw me.

Prince of Fatness

I worked extremely hard for this finish, and finished in 24:24. 6:06 pace, I was thrilled to bits, comments please are very welcome.
        The only comment I have is "Great job, congratulations".

Not at it at all. 

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Awesome Job, Eddy!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Congratulations on a very nice race. Great pacing for a negative split. The 6:13 1st mile saved you. You should be much faster in a 5k. Plus there are action shots! You must know David Bailey (or his son) Smile I feel your pain in the 2nd photo...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Slow-smooth-fast

Congratulations on a very nice race. Great pacing for a negative split. The 6:13 1st mile saved you. You should be much faster in a 5k. Plus there are action shots! You must know David Bailey (or his son) Smile I feel your pain in the 2nd photo...
              So you will with your speedy times! It was very hard, everyone else seemed fine but I worked very hard.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009